Pseudoplatystoma punctifer

Jonathan_G

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
Hi guys... so i juat got this shovelnose from a friend, i actually got it because i think its a P.punctifer, according to the stripes and pattern... please confrim my ID... thankss 20151123_211033.jpg 20151123_211033.jpg

20151123_211114.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree it's a different-looking TSN. Looks to be ~1', which, if right, means its pattern will keep evolving. I've never seen a punctifer except in the revision paper and the one Enrico Richter is claiming. I hope someone with knowledge chimes in ( wednesday13 wednesday13 ) but other than that one would need to look carefully at the revision paper.

I think it might be a tigrinum, given the utter scarcity of any TSN other than fasciatum, reticulatum, and tigrinum. But I do hope it's a different one :)

Reactions: Jonathan_G

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I agree it's a different-looking TSN. Looks to be ~1', which, if right, means its pattern will keep evolving. I've never seen a punctifer except in the revision paper and the one Enrico Richter is claiming. I hope someone with knowledge chimes in ( wednesday13 wednesday13 ) but other than that one would need to look carefully at the revision paper.

I think it might be a tigrinum, given the utter scarcity of any TSN other than fasciatum, reticulatum, and tigrinum. But I do hope it's a different one :)
keep lookin at these pics wanting to see somethin different...but that tail looks all too farmiliar to me for fasciatum... i agree this pictured specimen looks a bit odd in a good way... face/head seems a bit stubbier than normal for fasci and also that top fin is a bit short looking but the more i look at it the more i come back to p. fasciatum. with the amt of farm raised fasci for food production only way to tell or even suspect a diff specie/sub specie for sure would be to know its said collection point and know its valid as wild caught in general. ive seen many many deformed fasci so its even hard to tell by skeletal formations anymore as more often than not its the skull that is not right. ie... "spoon bills"..missing gill plates, odd finnage...and other bone abnormalities that obstruct a positive i.d. as the cat grows. hope im proved wrong lol... but i feel more tsn these days are farmed rather than collected so its almost a lost cause. last "different" specie brought in was p. corruscans... they were all valid and easy to see right away. not sure if those were even wild caught tho as theyre used to make hybrids in food production also. good luck growing this cat in question out... as always... only time will tell for sure... u need 2 get him to almost 30" to be certain. fasci pattern can change on a dime from 18-30"...

Reactions: Jonathan_G

Jonathan_G

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Jakarta, Indonesia
keep lookin at these pics wanting to see somethin different...but that tail looks all too farmiliar to me for fasciatum... i agree this pictured specimen looks a bit odd in a good way... face/head seems a bit stubbier than normal for fasci and also that top fin is a bit short looking but the more i look at it the more i come back to p. fasciatum. with the amt of farm raised fasci for food production only way to tell or even suspect a diff specie/sub specie for sure would be to know its said collection point and know its valid as wild caught in general. ive seen many many deformed fasci so its even hard to tell by skeletal formations anymore as more often than not its the skull that is not right. ie... "spoon bills"..missing gill plates, odd finnage...and other bone abnormalities that obstruct a positive i.d. as the cat grows. hope im proved wrong lol... but i feel more tsn these days are farmed rather than collected so its almost a lost cause. last "different" specie brought in was p. corruscans... they were all valid and easy to see right away. not sure if those were even wild caught tho as theyre used to make hybrids in food production also. good luck growing this cat in question out... as always... only time will tell for sure... u need 2 get him to almost 30" to be certain. fasci pattern can change on a dime from 18-30"...
this was wild caught tho... i forgot the river but its wild caught... he has underside spots, and clean head... which looks like a P.punctifer ... i might be wrong too... but lets see when he gets big

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store