Ptychochromis spawn

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Found the spawn this morning.

But because it was in a very raucous community, figured it would be best to remove some eggs and try for a out of tank hatch, and removed them to a breeder box.

as soon as I removed the rock, most covered with eggs, the others went to town on the remaining eggs.

but so far the rock of eggs looks good.

Reactions: Wailua Boy

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Been removing any loose and fungus looking eggs with a turkey baster, and squirting some fresh water over them for a little extra water movement since yesterday to dislodge any particulate. After 24 hours a majority still look OK.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The eggs started hatching today, with a little help from my turkey baster, the wriggler are some of the smallest I've seen.

and on a side note, a pair of Tilapia zillii spawned in the kiddy pool over night.

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
Been removing any loose and fungus looking eggs with a turkey baster, and squirting some fresh water over them for a little extra water movement since yesterday to dislodge any particulate. After 24 hours a majority still look OK.
Great to hear Duane. I found myself being less careful with the spawns now that I have been at this for so long. What Ptychochromis is this?

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
It's Ptychochromis sp "tarantsy".
By the way, how did you guys weather the storm in your neighborhood?
I was worried watching the news.
We sit on high ground so no flooding for us luckily because I was in mexico collecting that whole week.
Love those tarantsy, mine spawn once but the eggs didn't survive..

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The tarantsy wrigglers are starting to congregate in piles in the breeder box, as more and more hatch. Made it easier to get some shots, as some of the piles are close to the glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store