Purigen + re-cycling

Atreyu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
Personal
Well I had been using purigen for about six months and once it expired, I didn't re-charge it and threw it out. I also neglected on vaccuming my gravel for a while. As a result I now have high spikes of ammonia 8 ppm, lower spikes of nitrite 0.5 ppm and high nitrites 40 ppm. My question is, is my tank re-cycling because I stopped using purigen or am I having spikes because of the build up of organic waste in my tank? Woudl this clear with a large 40% water change ?

FishPower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
LosAngeles
Did you get a bacteria bloom?

I dont think that your tank is re-cycling since you did not remove your bio-media. Its probably the waste in your gravel. I would do 1 40% water change with gravel vac and then a 25% the next day.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Let me see if I got you straight Nitrite 40 ppm or do you mean nitrates ?
In any case if the fish are living in these conditions I would be changing the water right away. And gravel vac.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
40% is not a large water change. 50% is average and most do that once a week. So with a ammonia reading of 8ppm, I would do atleast a 75-90% water change if you have fish in the tank still and you care about keeping them alive. And do a good vaccing as well. And then check the ammonia and nitrite everyday and do a 50% water change at any time that you see a reading of 1ppm or more. And once it gets straightened out in a few weeks then go back to a good regular maintenance. Like weekly water changes and vac's.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Purigen should not replace tank maintenance!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store