Purple wolf fish info

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No problem kno4te out of all the bichir you are keeping with the wolf fish which ones get along with it the best im just curious to know and what are the errors you have made?
All my bichirs and fish get along with my wolf except for my teugelsi. He's a 13 inches or so/less and its a dominance issue. My other bichirs are in the 8 inch range. Everyone is always well fed.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
Regarding someone's earlier post, red wolfs won't get 20 inches long. Perhaps you thinking of the Mala wolf.

I got my red wolf with a red severum, rainbow shark, and blue acara. It's crazy cause the rainbow shark could totally fit in his mouth but he completely ignores him. The only time where there's trouble is during feeding time. I try to grab the attention of the wolf on one side of the tank and the other fish on the opposite side when feeding dry food. And when I feed tilapia or shrimp I give my wolf a big piece and he won't bother the other fish when his mouth is full. I don't feed live food other than worms, dry food is nls Thera a, massivore, and omega one veggie rounds (I try to target feed my severum this but my wolf will eat it too). Frozen foods are tilapia and shrimp.

If you go down the polypterus route just make sure is around the same size as your wolf. My friend had his with Senegals and he witnessed the wolf easy one during feeding time. The wolf was going for a pellet and the Senegal ate it before the wolf can get to it, then the wolf stuffed the Senegal in his mouth and made a quick meal out of him. I was doing research before I got my red wolf and a lot of people have had successes with polypterus as tank mates. I have a polypterus tank and think these are awesome fish to keep.

I currently have 2 wolfs (Mala and red wolf) and from my experience I think many plants (fake or real) and a hallow wood or a cave is a must to have in your setup.

Have you thought of just keeping a purple wolf on his own? When mine was in quarantine on his own I noticed he was more active vs with tank mates.

Good luck with what you decide. Red wolfs are awesome mini monsters!

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Thanks for the reply blazin I havent decided between a red or a purple wolf yet but I would add them last since that was what the owner of a reliable aquarium store told me. I think for tank mates I will have a lima shovlenose catfish,sun catfish, 4 lined pimelodus catfish,achara marbled catfish,weeksii bichir, and leopard pleco. I wont be getting them all at once but I will either start out with the sun catfish or 4 lined pimelodus catfish in a 80-120 gallon tank then move up sizes from there. Also thanks for the reply you seem very knowledgable about wolf fish and tankmates for them so thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store