Pygocentrus comparison, in terms of activity/aggression

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
How do the three pygocentrus species compare in your alls' experience?

I haven't personally kept piranhas since the caribas I had in 6th grade, which is about 8 years past now.

Based on what I've picked up over my forum skimming though, nattereris are established to be much shyer and less aggressive/active than the other two species. But how do pirayas and caribas compare to one another, max. size aside? And how does the growth rate between the 3 species compare?

largemouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2004
Massachusetts
Caribe are definately my favorite, and when I have the room I am going for an all caribe school of about 20. They are awesome. They grow fast and they are very aggressive in a shoal. I have only kept one piraya and it got killed by my caribe, so I can't really comment too much on them.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
Caribe are definetly the most aggressive in my experince. I had a 4" Caribe with 3 5-6" Red Bellys and the Caribe dominated the Red Bellys with ease. The Caribe was to aggressive for the Red Bellys during feeding time.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
super reb bellie snakeskin
are my fav.

after a 2 and a half hour ride home from shark aquarium(raining out)

while floating they chewed the bag open to get feeders on the other side

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
only p's ever liked

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Ive only kept Red Bellies and a Rhom. Red Bellies grow fast if given lots of clean acidic water and their color is amazing when fed lots of krill. When i got sick of my RBP, i gave all 5 of them to my local lfs and they renamed it " Golden Piranhas"

Got tired of keeping Ps .. too shy for me.

Apocalypse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
TeXXXas
aquatic-terrors.com
IMHO the order is as follows..starting from least aggressive. However we all know every fish is different and there is no real way of determining which is more aggressive than the other.

P. nattereri
P. ternetzi
P. caribe
P. piraya

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
do you know anything about the S. elongatus, or the S. niger? Habits, max size. where I can get them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store