Python?? JUNK!!!

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
So, I recently bought a python to eliminate the need of using 5 gallon buckets.. I get everything set up to start vaccing my 125; and the thing has NO suction. The water's draining, but it's not getting one spec of fish poo/food.

I ended up having to use the "suck" method with 5 gallon buckets to get anything accomplished.

I am highly disappointed...

Anyone else have this issue?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
not to be a smart ass.. but did you toggle the white flip switch by the syphon end?.. hehe I had a co-worker once who was so frustrated... otherwise you have a leak in a connector/hose.

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
It's user error, Not sure what your doing wrong. But your doing something wrong.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pmNyXVzvt_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
I did mess with it, as it was set on close- but then water started flowing and all was good.. it had suction, but the amount of suction was not anything in which would siphon my gravel, and I have a sand type substance.

It would just kinda hang in the tube in limbo.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It depends on how far down the hose is from the tank. If I use the sink faucet, the suction isn't as good as using the water hose faucet outside due to gravity. Trying to drain my tank with the sink faucet isn't great, but nice due to the fact that water isn't going all over the place and just goes down the drain, but since the water is flowing down and having to come back up to the sink, it loses a lot of suction. With the water hose faucet, it's all downhill so no loss of suction.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I ended up using it without the sink attachment.Throw the drain end out the window. The bigger the drop the better the suction.So no buckets,and Im not wasting clean water either.Guess you could just rig a hose to a gravel vac and do the same thing but I got my pythons pretty cheap.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
benzjamin13;4897004; said:
It depends on how far down the hose is from the tank. If I use the sink faucet, the suction isn't as good as using the water hose faucet outside due to gravity. Trying to drain my tank with the sink faucet isn't great, but nice due to the fact that water isn't going all over the place and just goes down the drain, but since the water is flowing down and having to come back up to the sink, it loses a lot of suction. With the water hose faucet, it's all downhill so no loss of suction.
I first had it attached to the sink, and then I just dropped the end into my sump, and it was just as bad.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
gomezladdams;4897010; said:
I ended up using it without the sink attachment.Throw the drain end out the window. The bigger the drop the better the suction.So no buckets,and Im not wasting clean water either.Guess you could just rig a hose to a gravel vac and do the same thing but I got my pythons pretty cheap.
I'm just gonna return it; or sell it.

Then go to lowe's and get me some clear tubing, and drop it in the sump. Good to go. haha.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Mavrick813;4897019; said:
That's an idea.
Yup.. I already have a vaccuum attachment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store