Quality online cichlid vendors?

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
I recently lost my 10 year old F1 Nicaraguan male managuense and I'm having an unexpectedly difficult time tracking down another one online that's bigger than a couple inches. I usually deal with Tangledupincichlids but there's nothing listed and I checked out CichlidsoftheAmericas. I've also been checking in on the MFK vendors with no luck. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good online seller with quality stock? Unfortunately I live in the boonies so checking out local pet stores isn't an option. Ideally I want a confirmed male in the 5-7 inch range. Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Twonvito

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Those 2 are the only ones I deal with. You could try http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com, I bought some fish from them one time and it went ok. Floridatropicalfishdirect.com sent me some VERY nice Breidohri about 4-6 inches a few years back.

Reactions: eyespot

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I searched all of my go to's and can't find one that size, only juveniles. You could email some sites and ask them if they can special order a larger one.

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Thanks for the tips. For whatever reason it seems like vendors generally aren't keen on special requests. Wetspotropicalfish always has a good selection but all of their stock tends to run small. The other problem I've run into is minimum orders and people selling in lots like six juvies when all I want is one fish. I think the irony is jags are so common they're not big money makers so sellers probably don't bother with them. I'll probably just have to be patient.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I buy the 6 juvie and pick the best one now. It's too easy to get a sub standard specimen, or have one die, catch a disease, etc.

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Ragin cajun-just checked out the freshwatertropicalfishdirect and they have some 6-8 inch specimens in stock. Thanks for the heads up! The list is a few weeks old but hopefully they still have some in stock. Sending them an e-mail.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Pics when you get one. If they have those black and white ones with the tiny maze pattern, like NOT the Honduran ones, I might get some, too.

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Pics when you get one. If they have those black and white ones with the tiny maze pattern, like NOT the Honduran ones, I might get some, too.
I asked them if they had any pics of their stock so I'll see if they oblige and let you know. That's the biggest thing I don't like about ordering fish online is not being able to see what you're getting plus not being sure I'm getting the right sex. Like I mentioned my last male was F1 Nicaraguan. He was stunning with a lot of vivid purples and blues. I don't know the difference between Honduran and Nicaraguan stock.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'm not sure about this, still looking for real answers from somebody who knows a lot about Jags....but I THINK that "Honduran" Jags are black and white with a subdued gold tint on their body and blue in dorsal fins, and a bigger thicker barring in the black / white pattern.

The Nicaraguan Jags are a brighter white, with less or no gold tint in the body. They have a very fine/tiny black and white pattern on the body.

This is a picture from Mo Devlin of one of his "Honduran" Jags. http://www.thephotoforum.com/threads/jaguar-cichlid.136213/

A Nicaraguan, is I think more like the one in the video below.

Now, if I could find one with the very fine black / white pattern like in that youtube clip, I'd buy a 180 today and grow some out--they're awesome. I just don't know what collection point to look for.

Fishnthehood

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
Chino, CA
WETSPOT is my go to but if your looking for large first check out Amazing Fish on Facebook.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store