Quarantine?

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
Would you want your fish quarantined and medicated for diseases before you buy them or would you want to buy them from a communal filtration system? I posted this topic on another site and some said that it is good for the fish to be put into a communal situation so that they can build up resistance? (he was kind of unclear...)

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
rweedon said:
Would you want your fish quarantined and medicated for diseases before you buy them or would you want to buy them from a communal filtration system? I posted this topic on another site and some said that it is good for the fish to be put into a communal situation so that they can build up resistance? (he was kind of unclear...)

definitely quarantined. I would want to purge all the nasty organisms and parasites from the wild before mixing it with the rest of my collection.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Since most communal filtration systems allow the passage of some protozoals, fungal spores, and bacteria I really don't care for them.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I don't care where they come from, they will be in my quarantine before they get into my big tank.
And we generally have no way of finding out about their history (sterile hatchery, wholesaler, distributer in country of origin, etc.). I don't worry about things I cannot influence. ;)

HarleyK

mcblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
singapore
quarantine is way better, its hard to control disease outbreak in a community tank especially if there are medication sensitive fishes like stingrays around

aquaoahu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
Hawaii
Today, I caught a Red Devil and a Male Convict from a local pond. I'm currently treating them with Furuzone in a 20L. How long should the quarantine be?

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
4 weeks

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I'd rather the fish I buy spend as little time in an lfs as possible. granted some say if you let the fish stay at the lfs for a week or so you can monitor its behavior and see how healthy it is. however on the other hand, how many lfs take good enough care of their tanks that the fish's health won't decline the longer it stays there. I do know of 1 or 2 lfs in Indy that I believe take good enough care of their tanks but that's about it. :)

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
I tend to Quarantine new fish for a week or two just to see if they have any problems. Typically a quarantine tank dosed with AQ salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store