Question about alligator gar

Aliasthefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2023
Is anyone aware of the laws concerning captive bred alligator gar and being kept as pets in Florida or what kinds of licenses I need I have been working with fish for ten years now and monster fish for 7 I’m looking for one to put in a 15000 gal pond with some oscars ,one red tail and a paddle fish

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ud need a permit to keep alligator gar in florida. U can apply. Not sure if u’ll get it or not. I believe all other species are legal to keep tho. Cubans would b the closest to gators and longnose can get pretty big also.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Is anyone aware of the laws concerning captive bred alligator gar and being kept as pets in Florida or what kinds of licenses I need I have been working with fish for ten years now and monster fish for 7 I’m looking for one to put in a 15000 gal pond with some oscars ,one red tail and a paddle fish
Welcome aboard

Aliasthefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2023
Ud need a permit to keep alligator gar in florida. U can apply. Not sure if u’ll get it or not. I believe all other species are legal to keep tho. Cubans would b the closest to gators and longnose can get pretty big also.
Do you know the name of the permit

Aliasthefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2023
Longnose gar is a maybe but Cuban gars like to form schools during breeding season I believe so I worry it may not have a proper life due to those behaviors

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Do you know the name of the permit
No i do not… id guess calling your states division of natural resources would be a place to start tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store