Question about my baby polar blues

coryuo1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2022
St.Cloud MN
my polar blue cichlids had babies about a week and a half ago and I’ve now moved them to their own tank to grow up. I’m wondering what to feed them and how to get them to eat. I know their very first few days they feed off of the egg they hatch from but now they are big enough where they are just beginning to swim around though they still stay very close to the substrate. I’ve tried feeding them crushed up pellets and flake food but it didn’t appear like they ate any of it. What should I be feeding them?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
You can get a powdered fry food or hatch baby brine shrimp. Fry grow best in mature tanks as this allows them to graze on algae and microfauna between feedings, so having a tank covered in some kind of non filamentous algae (not cyanobacteria either) helps keep them fed and alive. Sponge filters also help with this. Doing frequent waterchanges to make up for frequent feedings helps with growth. Polar blues are basically just mutated convicts, the fry should behave the same. With all my convict type species I personally just leave the fry with the parents and let them grow on leftovers from them/algae.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’ve tried feeding them crushed up pellets and flake food but it didn’t appear like they ate any of it. What should I be feeding them?
You can tell if the fry are eating by observing their bellies. The pellet or flake food has to be crushed very fine . I'm feeding Convict fry decapsulated brine shrimp eggs so far good.
Hikari First Bites should be in lfs. They have a brine shrimp hatchery that doesn't require use of a air pump and separates the egg shells pretty well.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You can tell if the fry are eating by observing their bellies. The pellet or flake food has to be crushed very fine . I'm feeding Convict fry decapsulated brine shrimp eggs so far good.
Hikari First Bites should be in lfs. They have a brine shrimp hatchery that doesn't require use of a air pump and separates the egg shells pretty well.
I mentioned this in a thread yesterday that I observe fry with a magnifying glass. You can really observe the tiny fry better with the magnifying glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store