Question about my oscar

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
So my oscar has spots all over him the last couple days that look like sand.. I have a sand substrate and there is some that was floating on the top until I just bought a new filter... so I don't think it's ich because he seems perfectly healthy and isn't rubbing against anything.. is it possible it's just sand that's stuck to his body from the water??

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Mmm... im not so sure. Can you post a picture?
I've never used sand before, but I find it hard to imagine sand sticking to a fish for very long.

Barbs and Barbels

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I have had the white aquarium sand stick to Jack Dempseys before but not all over them. In that case I added sand after the fish were in the tank ( I was new) . There is something about doing it that way that makes it stick to the fish. Is that what you did?

The sand floating on the water is stuck in the surface tension of the water, the way a bug gets stuck to it. In time it will all sink. An air stone will speed that up.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Well, it could be ich, as sand attaching to a fish isn't a common question. (Except for his behavior, of course.). How long have you had the Oscar and all of your other fish?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
A descent picture could clear this up for you. Without it we are all just guessing

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
I have had the white aquarium sand stick to Jack Dempseys before but not all over them. In that case I added sand after the fish were in the tank ( I was new) . There is something about doing it that way that makes it stick to the fish. Is that what you did?

The sand floating on the water is stuck in the surface tension of the water, the way a bug gets stuck to it. In time it will all sink. An air stone will speed that up.
I wasn't just putting the sand in but I have been trying to get my decorations in order as the tank is still relatively new so stuff has been moved around and been kicking up some sand

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store