Question about possible green terror pairing. Younger fish.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Is it possible for fish just over 2 inches to form a pair? The female or what I believe to be a female has a big round belly. The male which I am very sure he is male based on behavior color and the beginning stages of his hump on his head. He follows her all the time and they are busy doing stuff together behind a big pieces of wood.

He color is very weird though. She looks much darker then all the others. Like stress colors. But doesn't act it.

Her pectoral fins are almost black but transparent, her body more of a greyish and her spot is super dark and solid black.

Any ideas ? He wiggles and shakes for her sometimes.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Is it possible for fish just over 2 inches to form a pair? The female or what I believe to be a female has a big round belly. The male which I am very sure he is male based on behavior color and the beginning stages of his hump on his head. He follows her all the time and they are busy doing stuff together behind a big pieces of wood.

He color is very weird though. She looks much darker then all the others. Like stress colors. But doesn't act it.

Her pectoral fins are almost black but transparent, her body more of a greyish and her spot is super dark and solid black.

Any ideas ? He wiggles and shakes for her sometimes.
you should see fry with in the next week or so. I had a pair breed at 3" and kept breeding and breeding and breeding. Fish can breed before it is necessarily healthy for them to do so......I have had to cut the heat on tanks before to stop spawning behavior too early. In reality, it wont likely hurt them, but I like my fish to be sizable before spawning

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I didn't think the pair would form so quickly. That's pretty impressive. Will they be bonded for life. Maybe I should regime the rest of the group now or wait to see how they mature and pick the best looking fish then.

The male is by far the best looking I got and the female is alright but hard to tell at such a young age.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
People keep saying these are hard to sex when young, this just proves what I keep saying about gt's. They can be sexed very early,very easily when in a group.
if you just want to keep 1 pair,then I would move on the other fish soon.
If your tank was bigger I would suggest keeping another female or two and your male would take turns with breeding with each one.

Reactions: Frank Castle

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Look like you have a pair. The bright one is the male and the dark one is female . Two females can pair up too, but then both will turn dark. In a group, it's easy to pick out male and female if they pair up, which can be as small as 2.5 to 3 inch. But for the unpaired individuals, sexing is no easier.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Yeah you folks are right. At the first stages when getting them home I didn't have much of a clue. But in the past two weeks I am almost certain I can sex each fish fairly accurately. 2 males and 4 females.

The pair in question are going to be a real show stopper I think when fully grown. Once I see them.actually spawn I will start rehoming the others. With only the pair in the 75g (with 30g sump) the quality of the water will be great and allow for a faster grow out period.

I will post pictures soon :)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yeah you folks are right. At the first stages when getting them home I didn't have much of a clue. But in the past two weeks I am almost certain I can sex each fish fairly accurately. 2 males and 4 females.

The pair in question are going to be a real show stopper I think when fully grown. Once I see them.actually spawn I will start rehoming the others. With only the pair in the 75g (with 30g sump) the quality of the water will be great and allow for a faster grow out period.

I will post pictures soon :)
just keep the pair that already formed together and put the other 1M:3F in another tank and keep them like that as long as no aggression towards the remaining females develops when the 2nd pair forms. Even if you DO decide to rehome them, a breeding pair is worth much more $$$$ than individuals. Get the 2nd pair to form and sell them as "Breeding Pair Only, not for individual sale", then if you want to sell the other 2 females individually; you can use those 2 to satisfy someone who just wants one instead of a pair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store