Question About SnakeHeads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
cichlid2006;2738089; said:
i have a question now. as one type of snakehead is allowed, Ophiocephalus striatus, does that mean that if he found a breeder of the allowed species in hawaii he could keep one as it wouldnt be crossing any state lines if i have it right?
Per this...
The federal ban doesn't make it illegal to own or possess a snakehead where they are currently allowed, but it does bar their transfer between states or importation into a state.
...in my understanding, it wouldn't be illegal to own the striatas since Hawaii put an exception on the striata of all the channas provided they do not obtain this fish from outside the state except within Hawaii only. Please correct me if this seems wrong.

It's a good question though, Cichlid2006.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Touzer;2737712; said:
dan it.. was hoping for "Yes" ;)
Actually, YES, all types of snakehead are LEGAL for sale in the US, as long as they are frozen! :eek: :D

fishnut

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
pa
jlnguyen74;2742699; said:
Actually, YES, all types of snakehead are LEGAL for sale in the US, as long as they are frozen! :eek: :D
So thrawed out snake head considered illegal?:D

01C5Vert

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Jersey
Knee jerk reaction to the fish being found in US waters. Despite the dire predictions that the snakehead was gong wipe out the entire indigenous fish population, it hasn't. They are living symbioticly with our native fish.

kog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2009
NZ
The fact that theyre competing for resources and even eating native fish isnt a sybiotic relationship.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
kog;3002450; said:
The fact that theyre competing for resources and even eating native fish isnt a sybiotic relationship.
yes but all native fish eat each other as it is. its the food chain. we just added a higher predator. they can live symbiotically.

dragonfish18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Dat Land
ive herd of snake heads being in our lakes and rivers....perhaps if u catch one its not buy sell or trading....lol

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
dragonfish18;3004212; said:
ive herd of snake heads being in our lakes and rivers....perhaps if u catch one its not buy sell or trading....lol
wouldn't matter, in the eyes of anyone who made the law prohibiting them, the only responsible course of action would be to kill it on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store