[Question]Can you over feed an oscar?

NOLAfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2009
Louisiana,NewOrleans
i was just wandering if you could over feed an oscar cause i feed mines average 4 times a day they seem to be growin fine thier still look pretty normal for thier size, they never get like big bellies plus thier only 3-5 inches i got 2 tiger oscars and 1 albino and 1 4 in pleco

:newbie:

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Can you over feed Oprah? :ROFL:

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Overfeeding would imply feeding too much to the point that there are leftovers left uneaten and foul the water quickly. A lot of fish do eat to the point that they look like they are about to burst and is it advisable? No. Stick to your routine and refrain from feeding too much. This will only cause too much health issues in the long run and possibly impair its ability to reproduce if you do plan to breed it sometime as it matures.

NOLAfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2009
Louisiana,NewOrleans
Lupin;3324708; said:
Overfeeding would imply feeding too much to the point that there are leftovers left uneaten and foul the water quickly. A lot of fish do eat to the point that they look like they are about to burst and is it advisable? No. Stick to your routine and refrain from feeding too much. This will only cause too much health issues in the long run and possibly impair its ability to reproduce if you do plan to breed it sometime as it matures.
thank you dude ill try to keep the feeding to normal, and no i didnt plan to breed i just admire my fish i love them i dont really care if they bred, if they did then cool but i just love my fish its my hoby and my life :)

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
don't think you can over feed. i think they'll just get to a point where if they had enough they'd just stop eating and you'd have to clean up

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'm pretty sure my oscar would eat to death. He gets quite the little pot belly when I feed him a lot. I give him pellets, frozen shrimp, and live mosquitofish and he will still beat up my fingers for more. They are little piggies.

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
it is definitely possible (and actually quite easy) to over feed. Oscars are gluttonous and the more you feed the messier it gets. Not very good to over feed any animal to be honest.

Ficious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
Iowa
theres two subjects going here...one is feeding so much that its just messy...fouling the water quality.

the other is say feeding an oscar one pellet at a time, not messy at all...oscars can deff eat a lot of pellets lol

if you wana feed your fish a lot thats ok because theyre growing, but just dont put more in until theyve consumed the other pieces first...etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store