question "cycling" *shrugs*

fishnoob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2004
Martin,TN
ok so i ordered the tetra safestart (use to be called biospira) gonna try it out. anyways was wondering, i have a outside goldfish pond, and its been established for months now, can i use anything from it in my tank to help speed it up, along with using the safestart? like maybe some of the media from my filters or some of the gravel, anything? my goldfish pond is very clean, i vacuum it once a week with water changes, if that has anything to do with it. thanks in advance

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Yes you can. Use some of the filter media and it will help it out. About the gravel, I suppose you can use some too, wouldnt hurt I dont think, just never did it myself.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Just mix some of the gravel up with the new gravel. The media you add in your filter on the new tank. What filters you got on both?

wonword

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
St. Paul, MN
also remember or do research on how to cycle with or without fish. The bacteria you are adding can only last so long without food! Good Luck!

fishnoob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2004
Martin,TN
i have sand in my tank, gravel in pond. i got 2 filter on my tank, a powerfilter aqua clear for 60 gal and eheim pro 2 canister for up to 92 gallons, and on my pond the filter is a PF-3000.

fishnoob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2004
Martin,TN
wonword;2288594; said:
also remember or do research on how to cycle with or without fish. The bacteria you are adding can only last so long without food! Good Luck!
the fish will be in there when the bacteria is added. im adding the safestart (biospira) and my media from my pond, hopefully all goes well.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Well, dont add gravel to sand, it will make it look ugly, unless you dont care. Im not too familiar with pond filters, but if theres some sponge media, or any biological media, add that to your tank filters. Dont do both tank filters though, because you want soem new media in there with the older one so it has something to build on.

fishnoob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2004
Martin,TN
i know my filter for my pond has a bunch of balls in it, can i take a few of them and throw in one of my filters?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Yes you can do that, but add it to the cannister filter. I suppose you can even throw a few balls in the tank too and that would help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store