Question on Hatching a Shark Egg

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
Mary Mac;1114713; said:
So it will just happen in one day, is there anything I should be able to witness before he gets ready to come out? Will the egg turn a different color or thin out? I just want to do the right thing for the little guy, you know.
Thanks for your help.
more or less. in my experience anyway.
if you're lucky your pup will hatch in the day and you might catch it in the act, it takes a while. [I'm not too sure about this, maybe some other more experienced shark keepers can chime in regarding.]
you can predict the hatching to the week, maybe half-week, but i don't know if there are any very specific signs.

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
Congratulations!!! You are learning a very valuable lesson and that is to research before you buy, but that's okay because catsharks I'm not as difficult to raise as some of those free swimming sharks. The best thing you can do for that egg is to leave it alone! As long as your water is perfect and has good water flow he will do just fine on its own. As you do more of these hatchlings you will be able to predict exactly when it's going to happen, but it's one of those things where you just have to be there. Enjoy watching the egg and your shark coming out and growing, but don't touch it. If there is anything wrong, you won't be able to do anything about it anyway, so leave it alone. Enjoy is a beautiful thing when they finally hatch.

callum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
london, england
could a juvenile be kept in a 6,2,2 fotter

niblit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Knee deep in fish
I hatch banded sharks all the time at work. I clip the egg in an alge clip near the inlet then leave it be,they always hatch and people love to watch the babys squigle in their egg

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Yeah - even after hatching - you might have a problem getting it to feed.

Newborn Bamboos often take a while to start feeding - and some never do.

It's actually not really recommend that 1st time shark owner, get a shark egg. The combination of inexperience, & newborn shark - can be quite deadly for the shark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store