Question Regarding the Legality of Barramundi perch (Lates calcarifer) in California

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
As per California title 14, section 671:

"Lates calcarifer (Barramundi also known as Barramundi perch or Silver barramundi) (D), except permits may be issued to a person or organization for importation, transportation, possession, or sales of barramundi under the following conditions:
1. All live importation, possession, transportation and sales must also adhere to the conditions set forth in Section 671.7.
2. Live retail sales for human consumption are allowed for barramundi that range from one to three pounds in weight or 300mm (11.8 inches) to 500 mm (19.6 inches) in total length."​

As seen in subsection (1) ownership of barramundi for individuals can be legally done through the process of section 671.7 which is titled "Permits Requirements for Aquaculture and Fish". Within 671.7 subsection (f)(1) states:

"Live restricted species may be sold by Aquaculture or Fish permittees if both the seller and buyer hold a restricted species permit issued by the department for the species being sold and only if the permit(s) specifically authorize live sales."

However, I have seen several threads and shops that sell/sold live barramundi within the state of CA without the merchant checking for permits. Is this simply an oversight that agencies don't care about (private party transfer) or am I misunderstanding CA section 671 and it's subsection 671.7?

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
As I wait for the replies of others I will attempt to get into contact of well-known distributors of Barramundi perch (Lates Calcarifer) who have been known to ship within CA and I will post my findings if they respond.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Update: Sorry my line of work makes me quite busy. Of the distributors who did come back all declared that they would not ship Barramundi perch (Lates Calcarifer) to California and did not acknowledge if they had shipped this species prior to my email.

Similarly the official stance of the state of California as per their reply to my inquiry is that section 671 and subsection 671.7 are enforced as written however as the aquarium trade is hard to regulate it's difficult to punish all transgressions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store