questions about breeding channel catfish

cmbtengr1371

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2011
Jefferson City, TN
ok so me and a friend of mine were talking about breeding channel catfish to stock my 1.5 acre pond. has anyone ever bred channel cats? does anyone have any tips for this I have watched several videos, read a few books, just wondering if anyone has hands on experience.

Redbellypiranha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
Colorado
stock the pond with channel cats and let nature take its course i dont think theres ever been a successful spawn in a aquarium

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Add chimney pipes, barrels, etc. to your pond and let the cats do what they do best. They're cave spawners. Whatever you add in the way of caves must be large enough to hold the pair of spawning adults.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
my moms boyfriend has spawned channel cats before but that wasnt on purpose they did it naturally when he stocked the pond. Just do what oddball said and add a bunch of large caves and cave like structures. I would reccomend getting the lagest piece of piping you can like the pipes that go under bridges and get a maybe 3 foot wide piece and around 4' deep depending on your catfish size. Drop it in the pond and hope for the best! Nature should take its course. But the pipe im talking about is some kind of drain pipe i think. Im not sure but i have one to drain my pond when it overflows and its like 2.5' wide and we took extras in the pond and we ended up with around 100 little tiny fish swimming around and we moved them to a stock pond to grow out but we only got like 20 babies out. This is my pond if your wondering why it sounds so big is because it is so big!View attachment 768650View attachment 768651andrews pictures 872.JPG

andrews pictures 872.JPG

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
this weekend i caught a 4" lmb out of here with my little sisters dora fishing pole! lol i was showing her how to use it so i can get back to fishing for real and i thought for a second a whale was on my line! lmfao it was awesome! I was so shocked when something actually attacked the bait!

cmbtengr1371

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2011
Jefferson City, TN
thank you everyone I will get a pic of the pond as soon as I can

55 gal planted

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store