Quick 125 Gallon Re-seal question

kcinimod

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
North Carolina
I've read most if not all of the re-seal threads but still have a question.

When Re-sealing the bottom of the tank, do you need to use MORE sealant then you would use on the sides, or do you use the same amount?

Does it matter? It's a normal sized 125gallon.

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
not sure if you HAVE to or not... but i do... $3 for peace of mind is well worth it IMO.

kcinimod

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
North Carolina
The stuff i'm taking off was laid on much thicker on the bottom than it was on the sides.. I should probably stick to that.. but thought i'd ask anyway.

kcinimod

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
North Carolina
Before I start my first ever re-seal (using GE-I) are there any "Best Practices" I should be using? I'm using painters tape as a guide and my finger to get the bead into the corners.

If there are any negative lessons learned from user re-seals of the past, i'd appreciate to hear em so that I don't duplicte em. Thanks in advance!

BTW, the old stuff appeared to have water underneath it.. Meaning the tank was dry, I peeled off the old stuff and there was moisture.. That couldn't of been a good sign. There was also green algae in spots up and down the corners - Main reason why I decided to re-seal it. I'll post pics - If interested when done.

kcinimod

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
North Carolina
Here are a few pics of what the tank looks like before I add the silcone - i'll add after shots when i'm done - hopefully this weekend.

DSCF2221.JPG

DSCF2222.JPG

DSCF2223.JPG

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
A little thicker,dont go nutz with it.
The most important thing is to be sure the glass is really clean.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
work quickly and make sure you have enough silicone. If you run out, you'll have to redo the whole thing...it starts to harden very quickly so don't try and smooth it over too long after it's been applied, or it will look hideous.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
having a razor close by when you reseal is helpful. and the masking tape idea is good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store