Rainbow Belly Pipefish?

Joat

Jack Dempsey
Jan 29, 2008
never never land
Following because same eventually; although my main interest is in Doryichthys martensii tbh.

U USMCVET , some fish are incredibly seasonal. it might be a long while (up to a year) before you find them. But when you do, let me know!!!!
Wetspot shows Doryichthys martensii available $12 each I've never ordered from them before nor have any affiliation with them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wetspot shows Doryichthys martensii available $12 each I've never ordered from them before nor have any affiliation with them.
If you get them try to wean them on frozen Mysis Shrimp I did that with Seahorses years ago but they would eat live Coepods off live rock and aquarium glass.

Bpietrzyk11

Feeder Fish
Aug 3, 2023
I'm considering getting a few of these rainbow belly pipefish to add to my community. Anyone think they would be ok with tiny nano fish such as chili rasboras?

Reactions: tlindsey

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Practical fishkeeping has a good article by Gabir Horvath in the April 23 edition where rainbow bellied pipefish bred in a tank with indostumus paradoxis (armoured stickleback) and Dario hysginon (red dwarf badis) in a great replica of lake indawgyi in a 200 ltr tank.

LTygress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
I owned some of these back in 2017. I was not prepared for them though and they eventually died.

I just ordered some for import this time (48) and they are arriving any minute. I am actually posting this while sitting in the airport parking lot (flight was delayed). I am prepared for them this time and might eventually toss them in a 300G I am resealing. I haven't decided what to put in there yet. I have several hard-water plants that would love that tank. I have some shrimp and *baby* Cherax Pulcher in their first tank though.

Since I had to order 48, I am willing to part with a few. The sellers in India had them in captivity for about a month before I finally stepped in and ordered them. I would *also* be shipping out via air cargo if anyone wanted some. I paid about $15 each (thank you inflated air cargo prices...).

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I owned some of these back in 2017. I was not prepared for them though and they eventually died.

I just ordered some for import this time (48) and they are arriving any minute. I am actually posting this while sitting in the airport parking lot (flight was delayed). I am prepared for them this time and might eventually toss them in a 300G I am resealing. I haven't decided what to put in there yet. I have several hard-water plants that would love that tank. I have some shrimp and *baby* Cherax Pulcher in their first tank though.

Since I had to order 48, I am willing to part with a few. The sellers in India had them in captivity for about a month before I finally stepped in and ordered them. I would *also* be shipping out via air cargo if anyone wanted some. I paid about $15 each (thank you inflated air cargo prices...).
What are you going to feed them?

LTygress

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
What are you going to feed them?
As of right now, baby brine shrimp. When I got the airway bill number last night, I immediately went in to the kitchen and started up a hatcher with some brine shrimp eggs. Once they are in their new homes for a few hours, the eggs should have plenty of hatchlings and be ready to feed to the pipefish.

I also raise microworms, banana worms, walter worms, vinegar eels, and bloodworms (midge flies). The bloodworms would probably work after first hatching, but would grow too big for the pipefish. I have plenty of other fish to consume those though. I have daphnia and Scuds being delivered this week. *AND* my adult crayfish bins (not tanks) have developed a ton of copepods that I regularly have to clean out. Now I have something else to eat them! So there's all kinds of foods here that they could get, and a high-PH tank is waiting for them right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store