Rainy season?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Well, it has successfully rained every day here in Arkansas for a week. And it's summer, so the mosquitoes should be coming out sometime soon, as well as other insects (pretty sure that I found bloodworms a few summers back). I've got tubs set up, but would the rain hitting the water every day, induce spawning behavior? Or would it just be the drastic improvement in water quality? If I can't find any mosquito larvae in the dedicated mosquito larvae bucket in a few days, would it be suitable for me to substitute FD and frozen bloodworms for the top and bottom dwelling fish that I plan on setting up outside soon? For reference, the fish I want to spawn are Danio tinwini and Corydoras pygmaeus.

The reason I ask, is that the rainy season in SA, usually is the catalyst for spawning as "the forests flood, and fish are able to eat drowned insects" or something similar (a book I read). But would this not also work for other fish as well, such as the mountainous D. tinwini?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
sigh*....bump

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I think you might be missing the actual real catalyst the rainy season brings! Cool, oxygenated water. Easiest way to simulate the rainy season is to:

1) Slowly raise your temp (my Geo's got as high as 84)
2) Feed meaty foods
3) Then large, cooler water changes in rapid succession followed by a decrease in temp

This is the second time my Geo's spawned it was just like the first. Followed those 3 steps in order.

I got them to spawn by doing 25% water changes on a Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of the week. They laid eggs the following Monday.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store