raising tilapia

King Edward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
If not tilapia what species do you think would be good? The aussies are big on murray cod, jade perch and barrimundi....but I've never seen any aussie fish....except the blue eyed rainbows!!!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
As a food fish? Carp, catfish, perch, bream (sunfish,bluegill etc.), Giant Gourami, Eel (European). Freshwater prawn are iffy. Bass take too long, Barramundi & Murray Cod are too big and complicated for the home, as are trout, salmon, sturgeon etc.

Most food fish for aquaculture don't require fish or meat products in their diets making water processing a little easier.

Dr Joe

Irbanjaxed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2008
Ellijay Ga
i was thinkinkg about this as well theres a guy in fl who sells off colonies at like 4 or 500 dollers ..... ive done alot of research for this well which you def need to do alot of and ive talked to alot alot of people and after i did that when i was thinkin hey i can do this ... i relized i need to do more and more and more research .. this is not a thing you can set up over night and i noe one law with ga is the water needs to be drained to s eperate water holding container and it needs to be emptied according to your states regs....

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Irbanjaxed;2674081; said:
i was thinkinkg about this as well theres a guy in fl who sells off colonies at like 4 or 500 dollers ..... ive done alot of research for this well which you def need to do alot of and ive talked to alot alot of people and after i did that when i was thinkin hey i can do this ... i relized i need to do more and more and more research .. this is not a thing you can set up over night and i noe one law with ga is the water needs to be drained to s eperate water holding container and it needs to be emptied according to your states regs....
??? Colonies = schools, batches, fingerlings? Got a link? it will be appreciated. Thanks.

Your right about the research, I could have you up & running with 10,000g in a weeks time tho (F/W) (barring and local permit fish deliveries & problems).

Aquaculture & Aquaponics are actually fun to do.

Dr Joe

sykofrenic

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
ca
loogielv;2674731; said:
You said the tub holds 30, so i know your'e planning on somewhere in that amount right? hell that's not a aquaculture project. that's a tub of fish man. no worries.
i would be inclined to agree with you, but i have a future carrear with the Department of Fish and Game. messing around with contriband fish is on the same level as making meth to them. the asian carp epidemic started with just a few fish...

and i see what youre saying about disposing of the water in a special way, Ca is being invaded by zebra mussels, if there were any of their larva in the water it could mean a tremendous problem (they have been known to grow inside of sink drains and find their ways into the infrastructure of dams) not that i would have zebra mussels, but the DFG doesnt know that.

sykofrenic

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
ca
thanks for the advice so far, im starting to think that its not gonna happen with tilapia for me, but i havent been to the DFG office yet to ask about it. i'll let you guys know what they say (im headed down there later this week)

loogielv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Las Vegas, USA
sykofrenic;2674938; said:
i would be inclined to agree with you, but i have a future carrear with the Department of Fish and Game. messing around with contriband fish is on the same level as making meth to them. the asian carp epidemic started with just a few fish...

and i see what youre saying about disposing of the water in a special way, Ca is being invaded by zebra mussels, if there were any of their larva in the water it could mean a tremendous problem (they have been known to grow inside of sink drains and find their ways into the infrastructure of dams) not that i would have zebra mussels, but the DFG doesnt know that.
well wait a minute, i wasn't aware they were contraband. Are we talking not allowed at all in the state? or not allowed to be let go and raised and all that? if you could keep them in a tank legally as a pet I dont see why keeping 30 in a tank would be any less legal. maybe i'm missing something
and i certainly wouldn't promote anything illegal, but i was trying to say you don't need a permit for regular type of pet fish, why would an irregular pet fish be any different, even if you planned on eating it? I can see illegal fish being an obvious problem (snakeheads and such) and obviously wouldn't toot the horn to breed them w/o the proper licensing or whatever was needed.

sykofrenic

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
ca
i dont know what tilapia species are not allowed in Ca, thats why im going to go down to the DFG office later this week, but Ca does have quite a lengthy list of animals that are illegal to posses in the state for ecological reasons. like ferrits, they are illegal in Ca and you can be fined and have the animal confiscated. the punishment for breeding ferrits would be far more sever than just owning one in the state...the same agency deals with both fish and mamals, but i dont know their regulations yet for the tilapia.

it is MOST DEFINATLY illegal to release them though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store