Ramshorn snails question.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I have a 150 gallon planted tiger barb tank. I also have a other 180 baby fahaka puffer tank, he's small he's less then an inch right now doing awesome. I added ramshorn snails into my barb tank about 100 of them.. about 1-2 months ago.. I see some bigger ones here ans there but zero babies.. are my barbs eating them? Or is the tank just so big it's hard to spot them? Bc I heard they breed so easily and I do not see that at all lol might have to set up my 10g just for them so I can use them to feed my fahaka

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s definitely possible the barbs are eating them, I don’t know that they are heavy snail eaters, but babies are easy prey.
I do find that the ramshorn grow pretty fast though so they could definitely be hitting adult size and you don’t notice.
Make sure to have lots of plant cover for better yield, but it’s definitely easiest to rear young for anything when there’s no fish in the tank.

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
It’s definitely possible the barbs are eating them, I don’t know that they are heavy snail eaters, but babies are easy prey.
I do find that the ramshorn grow pretty fast though so they could definitely be hitting adult size and you don’t notice.
Make sure to have lots of plant cover for better yield, but it’s definitely easiest to rear young for anything when there’s no fish in the tank.
Looks like I'll be setting up my 10gallon tank! It very planted so finding these guys is tough

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store