Rare Probarbus Labeamajor p/u NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
So, one came from Wes, and one from Rapps ? What about the third one in the pic ? And the last photo - different fish ?
And yours are gray, no stripes - do they all become striped ?
I'm getting confused here.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I got some of these too from Rapps. My understanding is there are 3 species of the probarbus. Up in till 1992 all three were classified as P. jullieni. So when jullieni was put on the protected list there was only one probarbus species. Lucky for us hobbiest they were re-classified to be three different species Jullieni, Labeamajor and Labeaminor. So Labeamajor and minor are not on the protected list but they are still just as endangered even more since there are less of each sp. since it was thought all three were the same fish.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, Twilight zone and MyGiants, for that great clarification. At the same time, it is a sad and hypocritical situation - they should all be equally rated by CITES.

Probarbus jullieni Sauvage, 1880 Probarbus jullieni Cyprinidae Isok barb
Probarbus labeamajor Roberts, 1992 Probarbus labeamajor Cyprinidae Thicklip barb
Probarbus labeaminor Roberts, 1992 Probarbus labeaminor Cyprinidae Thinlip barb

My current conclusion is that the OP is simply going with what the prior (highly reliable) sellers had them labeled as... And that's fine with me. This is not exactly an exercise in the correctness of the fine-tuned ID. It is always the best to be sure of what one's selling and buying, especially when it comes to CITES, but if not, it is buyer beware, is all.

The buyer should also be aware that jullieni and the major reach 5'+ while the minor only 2'+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store