Ray bullying each other ??

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Bellacornuta;3066368; said:
That sump underneath looks like it means business.
Just a tip- media, when mixed in together, increases the nitrification process due to cross-competition between the colonies of baceria that are more prone to live on the different kinds of surfaces. I've seen a really good study on it, but the gist was that each new media type that is mixed in (not layered or seperated) provides an additional .5x benefit to the nitrification process than the average of the two medias by itself.

So, for example, if you had 2 gallons of ceramic pellets and 2 gallons of bio-balls, if you mixed them together they would effectively function like 3 gallons of ceramic and 3 gallons of balls.

Hope it helps,

-Matt :)

RayRookie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2009
Where the cheeseheads are..
Whoa, nice tip you got there Matt,thanks, I'd sure like to try it on the next sump.
I've already got 0 readings on ammonia and nitrite so probably I'd leave it alone for now.

I'll move the leos to this similar tank in the morning, it's been cycling for a week now, and the motoro is in it for 3 days and eating (sorry for putting you up to the test little one :D)
the sump is the same size with the tank which is 4ftX 1.8 X 1.8 :D:D
its a lowlife motel for now
got bioballs, more bioballs, jap mats , and some malaysian leaves +bogwood

hopefully the tail biting ends tomorrow

I'm getting a 650 gal tank in 2 weeks maybe.. probably use the same sump filter since I dont see any problems arise yet.

oh well, thanks guys, wish me luck

t9.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store