Ray Friendly Algae Eater?

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
After 9 months of having my Flagtail not so much as look at my rays, he's finally decided to constantly suck at them. Since I'm transitioning my stock into their new 315 gallon home this weekend, I figure that would be the time to say farewell to my Flagtail. However, because of the positioning of the tanks they do get a good amount of sunlight and some pretty bad algae growth, particularly brown algae. So, are there any algae eaters out there that are a bit more ray friendly? Or am I just going to have to constantly keep wiping the walls down? Any input is greatly appreciated!

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
Is brown algae not caused by not enough light or to much phosphate or silicate in the water? have you tested for that? maybe you just need to get those levels down.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
I've tested for it and my levels are always extremely low. I've just always had a brown algae problem since day 1 with the tank.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
I've heard good things about Chinese algae eaters. I did have one with Rays once and had no problem
I was under the impression that they got very lazy once they get to a larger size and just tend to ignore the algae. If that's not the case I may just try one out, especially since they don't produce anywhere near as much waste as a pleco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store