Rays on a budget- My (somewhat long) story w/pics

ullr49

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2007
Michigan
Congratulations on the win.

Is that legal to have a G-force gage on the car? A pretty well disguised one I would say,using a bobblehead. ;)

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Well things are going ok here...the rays are doing awesome and I have switched out 2 breeding colonies of Tilapia trying to get them back on pace. Still waiting for other Tilapia to grow up a bit.

I had my father in law clean some of the older breeders after a 3 day purge in fresh well water. I cooked them up for my mom so she could try it and I had a bite... I wasn't going to eat any because they were kinda like my buddies..but she offered me a bite when I asked how it was...It was PERFECT...not a bit of off flavor like the storebought Tilapia and now I can't wait to go into full production...I hope to be able to put up a barn SOON!

I had a chance to race a special 100 lap memorial race last weekend in someone else's car. My car was being still driven by the friend who has been doing so well in it, so I was offered another car to drive. Boy, after 3 years of not driving, I really wish I could have gotten more practice...I did ok, but I had a fast car and could have done much better. Out of 35 cars, I qualified 5th and finished 12th. I'm happy with that though..just not wrecking someone else's car was all I really was concerned with...It's just that I got my hopes up a bit after qualifying 5th. Can't wait till next time. At the end of the month I'm racing my own car on a bigger track where I'm a bit more comfortable anyhow.

Mike

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I just finished reading the whole thread and found it fascinating. The ups and downs of your story make it exciting and I love the freshwater rays! I wish I could own some but in Hawaii we have rules on what we can and cant have as pets. The tilapia on the other hand are just kind of gross. It's a stigma that is prevalent here in the islands - tilapia are dirty and nasty fish that live in the most disgusting of waters. No locals eat them (except filipinos and such - but they eat dog!) and to eat them must mean you are not a local and or from the mainland or a haole. To be honest they are so gross and dirty to me that I wouldnt even let my fish eat them... but thats just my opinon (stigma). I hear their actually good eating but we have better options for table fish here. My neighbor just started an aquaponics system with golden koi tilapia that he is raising to breed and even eat...YUCK! He is filipino though LOL.

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
ECW- I totally understand the stigma you mention... For Tilapia, they get that there most likely because they are the fish that can survive in those waters where others don't... Raising them in clean water however is where they turn into a wonderful food-fish. Your neighbor's Aquaponic system will likely yeild some wonderful fish.

YOu also have a very valid point about having better tablefish... I will always prefer wild caught fresh fish from the Ocean and you are parked right in the middle of it! lol.

Thanks for reading!

Mike

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Took a road trip yesterday and picked up a trio of Marbles from a friend. They are already happy and playful and eating like little piggies.

Here's a shot of pool #1 now that they are in there.
ray pool 003.jpg

ray pool 003.jpg

Reactions: Matteus

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
good to hear everythings goin good

let me know if u need and leo pups, i have lots of males avail

your thousand island motoro is lookin huge!

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Yeah, she's pregnant, but I'm not sure how far along...

how you getting stuck with all those males? lol...

Mike

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Taking anpother cool road trip tomorrow to the Chicago area. Headed back to my friends house with my Hybrid Male...he's going to visit a couple of Leo females for a while...something new to try with a great friend I met through MFK. I wish my Leo males were Mature, but we both think that this combination will yield some awesome pups and I may not even want to sell my share of them since they will be such a limited batch...and that's assuming that they breed.

After we get the Ray settled in, we're taking a drive further west...I'm picking up 30 Peacock Bass...That should be cool...I sure hope my tank space can keep up with their growth for a while...but I'll be offering some up once they get bigger.

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store