RCS substrate

muskieboy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hello everyone, I am planning on turning my 10 gallon into a RCS tank and I don't have the money for those fancy shrimp substrates. So I was wondering how well rcs will look on play sand (i have some left over). I have heard that they look much better on a darker substrate though. Is it worth using play sand or should I try to find some black gravel?

Or will they look good on some gravel that I found at my cottage?
looks like this: (not my photo)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3026/5860928970_7d5a1d009a_z.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Tbh, i think as long as there is substrate, something for them to climb and hide under as well as good water parameters they will breed... Since Cherries are seriously the easiest shrimp to keep...

Just means you may not be able to use live plants...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

clc013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
If you make the tank dark enough, they'll still exhibit the intense red color. Really, what comes into play are the quality of your shrimp and if the surroundings have enough of a contrast to make their color pop! I keep my RCS in a planted 5g with a black painted background and natural colored gravel. I would switch it out but my tank's pretty established. They're also really easy to see since red and green are complementary colors.

I'm sure black substrate would be better of course. But if you have a budget, then just make the most out of what you can get.

Turbotom92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Rzeszów, Poland
I have 40l tank with about 70 red cherry shrimp + babies, a school of galaxy rasboras, and 4 oto-cats. This is a low-tech planted set up with, anubias, a carpeting grass, Taiwan and Xmas moss. My plants are all doing well and my shrimp are breeding like crazy. I have about 3 cm of play sand as the substrate and my RCS, especially the older individuals, are all vivid red. I think the reason for the color is the dense vegetation in my tank, and I have a few caves and two pieces of wood in there.

I'm not bashing shrimp-specific substrates, but play sand works just fine with RCS. Next time I set up a shrimp tank, I will definitely mix in 1 part potting soil for every 15 parts of sand though.

My RCS spend the whole day sifting through sand, and I think a smaller grain substrate is beneficial for them, mainly because they can manipulate it more.

Black moon sand in a planted tank would really make the shrimp stand out.

I'll post a pick when it gets dark and I can get a good shot of the tank.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I think with RCS, you don't necessarily need shrimp specific substrates, but if your going with say CRS, or the other more expensive breeds its probably worth doing just because its more balanced for picky shrimps needs...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store