Re-sealing Glass Tank!!

kjb1000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Bedfordshire, Uk
I have a 550 gal tank that i cant fit through my doors, i have come up with the theory that i can break the seal on the tanks edges and bring the tank in piece by piece.

The problem i have is resealing the tank. How easy is it to do as well as the success rate of resealing tanks especially of this size. Also if there is anyone in the uk bedfordshire buckinghamshire area who has experience sealing tanks who is willing to lend a hand would be greatly appreciated.

All advice welcome

Thanks

miko1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2011
My tank
why don't you take your lounge room window out and take it through there thats what i would do, if your resealing the tank i'd get a professional to seal it for you.......

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
Rebuilding isn't hard as in engineering but is hard labor and I wouldn't start on such a big tank remove a window or door, but if ya have to it will be alot of work. First you need to remove all old silicone and when i say all I mean all you will go through more razor blades then you can imagine. When you think you have it all off get a new blade and you will find more. To separate the panels can be hard you will need thin piano wire or guitar string to try and break the silicone in-between the panels then once they are apart get back to making sure all old silicone is removed and I mean all of it. If you decide to go through with this I can give more details about reassembly but it is a big decision to make I almost bought a 650 that was disasembled but decided I didn't want to trust my work with that much water over my hardwood floors, although I have repaired and rebuilt quite a few tanks. Tanks that big have to be perfect.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
wow i wouldnt even want to move one of those panels, nevermind a 550g assembled glass tank. good luck

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
Hi kjb1000, did you sort out this problem mate, just asking as i am picking up a tank this weekend of around 470G or 8x3.5x2.5, it needs a new back panel first but was wondering about pulling it all apart to get it into place then rebuilding it, i have worked out it will weight in at around 500kg, bit of weight there.

I am thinking of trying to move it into place but with the weight......

wayne

waynes world

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
North Manchester UK
Hi Kev, got it home in one peace, now to decide what to do with it, will look into seeing about getting the scratchs out, some deep ones, if they come out then i miote just replace the back glass and get it in place.

Thanks kev

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store