Jan 6, 2005
North Jersey
www.greenstouch.com
I finally got my Back Up order.

100 Pack CD-R CD-RW Paper Sleeve With Window - 4.99
100 Pack Dual CD Jewel Case With Black Tray, Handsome Double (Twin) CD - 35.00
200 Pack Ritek RiData CDR (CD-R) 52X High-Speed Certified 80Min/700MB - 35.99
200 Pack Genuine Ritek Ridata G05 8X DVD-R Media 4.7GB DVDR Disc - 85.99

This should last me for a while. I used up all my CD-R and DVDR at home and it was time for another huge back-up plus I needed to stock up for a while. I make doubles of each session. If I can fit given data on 700MB I use CDR, if not then DVDR.

I know people who are using Terabyte HardDrives and they filling them like crazy. My D2X is coming on friday and TIFF files are 70MB each :-o .

Are you ready for back up ;-)

Ibn

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2004
San Jose, CA
Holy smokes, Jay. That's a lot of CDRs and DVD-Rs! Can't wait to see some pictures from the D2X of yours (yeah, I'm jealous, haha). Talk about big files. The 30 mb TIFFs from the D70 are quite a bit already and I just back up the NEFs instead.

About to run out of DVD-Rs myself and about to put an order for some. Nothing along those lines though. Just gonna do a 200 pack of Taiyo Yudens. Used to used Riteks, but they aren't as reliable, so have since switched over.

benny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2004
Singapore
Ed and I was just talking about backing up too. We have way too much files in the hard disc and if it crashes, we'll be dead ducks.

Perhaps I need to pick up some DVDs too.

Question: Would it be better to get DVD-R or DVD-RW? Can't decide.

Cheers,

paradise

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
Yep, benny, you and I, and earlier today, Jay and I. I am getting a bit overwhelmed by all the files, I shoot way too much. So I am interested, what should I use, what is best?

Ibn

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2004
San Jose, CA
benny said:
Ed and I was just talking about backing up too. We have way too much files in the hard disc and if it crashes, we'll be dead ducks.

Cheers,
Either one would work. The DVD-RW would allow you to rewrite to the DVD, but it costs more. I just use regular DVD-R for backing up most things.

paradise

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
You know, guys, this type of stuff could be great for the Group buy idea. Get a bunch of us together and buy up a bunch of DVD - Rs and boxes. I have a few right now, but could always use more.

ccplim

Jan 8, 2005
Singapore
www.avianwatchasia.org
benny said:

Cheers,
I will prefer to go for DVD-R rather than RW. Reason being, DVD-R are cheaper and in terms of read write performance, I personally found them better than RW.

ps. I have heard many cases of having problem reading and writing to RW.

Ibn

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2004
San Jose, CA
It's not as bad the first few times that you write to DVD-RW, but subsequently, it can become an issue.

Let me know if there's another group buy in the works/future. I just ordered 250 DVD-Rs and some ink right before that post of yours Ed. I got mine through Rima and they do give discounts on larger orders. I'll be looking for more in about 3-4 months.

RazorBlade

Feeder Fish
Mar 16, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
www.geocities.com
Jay - that's a LOT of CDs and DVDs! I'm still on my 2nd "100pcs CD stack", and look at yours! :p

A suggestion for those of us that have less files to backup: Get a spare 100GB / 200GB hard drive, put it in one of those Hard Disk casings, and connect it to the PC via USD2 or Firewire. Quick easy backup. Cost a bit more than CDs though.

Nonetheless, I would still recommend using CDs or DVDs as a backup's backup - Hard Disk can crash. The likelihood of a CD or DVD to become 'unuable' is less than a mobile Hard Disk crashing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store