recommend me an aditional filter for a 125? plz

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
i personally have 2 eheim 2217's and never had a problem. and they are really quiet. if you search eheim filters. you will hear lots of good things about them. i never own an fx5 but lots of member on here use them and lots of good reviews and they're best bang for your buck.

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
Another vote for a sponge filter. If you go the canister route I would avoid anything rena. They can be a pain to prime sometimes. I would just get an fx5 and just run that and the aquaclear. It seems to be the perfect size for a heavily stocked 125. If that isn't an option, go with the aquatops...cheap but they get the job done.

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
I agree with OP about canister filters - they're inherently "dangerous" things (from a leakage point of view). A well-done overflow is much safer. A hang-on-back is almost infallibly safe.

Sumps are best - you can add huge amounts of volume (I have 40 gallons on a 150 gallon tank) and have absolutely massive amounts of hidden space for equipment, grow-out refugium areas, etc.

OP: if you can't do an overflow and sump I would probably hang 2 AC110s and use koralia-style powerheads for any additional flow you want. The emperor 400 is a really annoying filter, although mine has lasted me quite a long time. The vertical filter media sucks, the default filter cartridges suck and it's hard to add loose media. The 2-piece impeller on mine gets into a weird state and makes a bunch of noise until the filter is unplugged a few times to torque it back into position.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store