Recommendations for Philadelphia area custom tank companies?

jstavis

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Madison, WI
I've been out of the monster fish game for a few years, but I'll be moving next year and want to get back in a big way. We'll be buying a house, and I want to install a stupidly big stingray system. I've moved big tanks in the past and plumbed my own sumps, but I'm not exactly handy and I anticipate I'll need to hire someone for an onsite installation. Does anyone have any companies in the greater Philadelphia area that you'd recommend? Thanks.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
If you’re in PA and looking for a stingray tank you could go the cheaper route and look at Pentair, they’ve got 600-720 gallon fiberglass tanks with viewing windows. Those tanks are 48 inches wide and I believe 96 long - nice for a stingray!

jstavis

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
Madison, WI
If you’re in PA and looking for a stingray tank you could go the cheaper route and look at Pentair, they’ve got 600-720 gallon fiberglass tanks with viewing windows. Those tanks are 48 inches wide and I believe 96 long - nice for a stingray!
Yes, I' ve considered Pentair, but I'm frankly not a huge fan of the look. I also may want to go a bit wider than 4' on this project, although dimensions are still very much in flux.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Yes, I' ve considered Pentair, but I'm frankly not a huge fan of the look. I also may want to go a bit wider than 4' on this project, although dimensions are still very much in flux.
Could "wrap" the Pentair. I have thought about it, and it would be cool if they had windows on both sides.

For a MASSIVE custom tank, Fishtanksdirect.com was ~$8k for a 96"x72"x28" acrylic tank. That was shipped, but you are responsible to unload it from the truck yourself and the lift gate will note function as it is too long. The other 3 companies I quoted were all around $12k. Going wider than the 4' makes it super pricey.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Could "wrap" the Pentair. I have thought about it, and it would be cool if they had windows on both sides.

For a MASSIVE custom tank, Fishtanksdirect.com was ~$8k for a 96"x72"x28" acrylic tank. That was shipped, but you are responsible to unload it from the truck yourself and the lift gate will note function as it is too long. The other 3 companies I quoted were all around $12k. Going wider than the 4' makes it super pricey.
is that fishtankdirect shipping policy the same on all? That they won’t unload it?

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
is that fishtankdirect shipping policy the same on all? That they won’t unload it?
The lift gate on a semi can only handle 6' length if I recall. And I believe it was going to be around 800#s to unload all crated up. They ship it on a freight truck making it's way in your direction.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've been out of the monster fish game for a few years, but I'll be moving next year and want to get back in a big way. We'll be buying a house, and I want to install a stupidly big stingray system. I've moved big tanks in the past and plumbed my own sumps, but I'm not exactly handy and I anticipate I'll need to hire someone for an onsite installation. Does anyone have any companies in the greater Philadelphia area that you'd recommend? Thanks.
Contact The Fish Factory,they are just north of Philly and they have a few custom made display tanks in their store.They could probably put you in touch with their builder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store