Red Cherries in modified aquaone tank

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Hi all,

A quick vid of my red cherries in an aquaone Betta Duo with the divider removed. Probably my favourite aquatic animals I've kept, they are very relaxing; and the shrimplets are awesome lol

Reactions: Hendre and xraycer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Looking good!!! Nice and red, and if you already have fry popping up thats even better!!!

Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Looking good!!! Nice and red, and if you already have fry popping up thats even better!!!
mixed bag so far, I've lost a couple of adults in the last few days; most likely cause I thought I could get away with throwing in a seeded sponge into the filtration and skipping a cycle; bit gung ho on my part.

Saying that, most of the babies are growing well; so hopefully it will settle. With the presence of plants etc, the tank will cycle anyway; we'll see how it goes.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As long as the young shrimp are getting food, and they dont have problems molting, no reason why the population shouldnt explode...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
As long as the young shrimp are getting food, and they dont have problems molting, no reason why the population shouldnt explode...
i've thrown in a catappa leaf, though I'm confused on whether it can be edible immediately; or if it needs to break down a bit before they can tuck in.

I'd like to try mulberry leaves as I've heard they breakdown for eating quicker, I also have the mini shrimp pellets; but don't want to add waste into the water when I think it's sensitive as is

Reactions: Fat Homer

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
One of these days I would like to set up a nano-shrimp tank

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
i've thrown in a catappa leaf, though I'm confused on whether it can be edible immediately; or if it needs to break down a bit before they can tuck in.

I'd like to try mulberry leaves as I've heard they breakdown for eating quicker, I also have the mini shrimp pellets; but don't want to add waste into the water when I think it's sensitive as is
If will take time for the leaves to break down, but should start becoming a food source reasonably quickly for shrimp...

Im guessing you're using the leaves ro lower PH?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If will take time for the leaves to break down, but should start becoming a food source reasonably quickly for shrimp...

Im guessing you're using the leaves ro lower PH?
not so much to lower PH, as opposed to just creating biofilm for them to feed on; as well as help moulting etc. I'm running co2 on the shrimp tank as well for the monte carlo carpet, so I need to be careful I'm not creating huge swings in PH

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
One of these days I would like to set up a nano-shrimp tank
I highly recommend it. It's very relaxing to watch, plus unlike other nano tanks with fish in it; that look cramped and unnatural, the shrimps actually look totally comfortable in their surroundings.

Reactions: xraycer

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
i really want some cherry or bumblebee shrimp for my betta tank but they are really difficult to get here ;(
there were some red cherries on a classified ads site close by but i didnt have a tank set up yet

there were also bumblebee shrimp but they were 80 rand each (3.5 GBP or 5.5USD) each and 8 hours away.

there were some small shrimp at an lfs from their display tank they said would be fine with my betta but the things probably werent even 3mm long

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store