Red Devil Pictures (Updated May 1st)

HilJack41

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
Cincinnati soon to be lakeland fl
what is the diff between a midas chiclid and red devils i have a breeding pair of waht i think are red devils my big boy is sooo hansome and my babies are geting up is size.. but i am jsut confused..... i want to sell my babies but i want to sell the right thing i cnat get it to up load my pic so ill ost them in my gallery ill label em look for the dad and the mom and baies.. the mom her eyes are just not solid they look diffrent, and she has some dark patches. and the babies, some are soldi some have diff eyes, and some haev black patches, but they weere all gray and then most grew out, but i still have gray ones! im confused.. :1zhelp:

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Red devils and midas, in the pure forms, are reasonably distinct from one another. however, throughout their duration in the aquarium hobby, they have become so heavily hybridized between one another that it can safely be said that any RD/midas that didn't come from a few select fish-suppliers is a hybrid.

Midas are more omnivorous in nature, they have a relatively short U-shaped mouth and chunkier, square-shaped body. Red devils are much more suited for predatory lifestyles; they have an elongated snout that looks more like a V (than a U..) when viewed from above, and their body is more slender and streamlined, and they have HUGE lips. Red devils also grow a couple inches smaller than midas.

But the fish you have are almost certainly hybrids. Nothing wrong with hybrids, thats what most ppl have anyway.

HilJack41

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
Cincinnati soon to be lakeland fl
i posted pic of them if you would iek to give me an opinion. i havea feeling that the female is hybrednized (isthat a word?) with a entirely diff fish, such as a servrum. but mabey i am wrong. I do know that my male has big lips. and he eats from my hand, and they are all bubly against my fingers. lol i love them there liek marshmellows. :hearts: but my female not so much. andher eyes arent as distinct as the males, see pictures and descriptions....

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
i dont think you quite comprehend the varying levels of hybridization that occur....

A fish can have 95% midas in its blood, as perhaps its bloodline only had one RD in the mix and it was a couple of generations back on the family tree. Or a fish can have 60% midas traits. Or 40%. Or 10%... Without genetics testing or an honest reputable dealer (http://www.tangledupincichlids.com is the only one I know of), there's really no way to tell whether a fish is pure or not...

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
definitely both hybrids. piranah says it right. never can tell the exact mix, just guaramntee they wont be pure unless you get from reputable source. still GREAT fish. many people have mutt dogs and love them too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store