softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Roy L. said:
Unfortunately they are not allowed here :(
(None turtles or reptiles...)

But I have some yellow eared terrapins anyway ;)
in my livingroom-pond.
Nice looking set-up.

bLaZn420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2005
houston, tx
softturtle said:
I might be wrong, but I think Red Eared Sliders are now in the wild of every continent besides Antarctica.

And about the legalities of turtles under 4": I think it is more about children not buying small turtles. As a young adult, most places will sell me a 2" turtle with no fuss. But if a young child were to say I want that turtle, they probally wouldn't sell it. The reason we can't buy turtles under 4" is that someone thinks kids put turtles in their mouths and a 5" turtle will obviously not fit :screwy: .

And saying the sign on the tank stating "for scientific use only" doesn't get them of the hook? It doesn't incriminate them. All they have to do is say no.
im not quite sure thats the reason why we cant buy res under 4". i believe it is due to the fact that younger turtles at under 4" have a much higher chance of passing a Salmonella infection.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
it is more for the reason of disease (not that larger turtles arent just as capable of carrying salmonella) not to prevent kids form buying them. most places wont sell to kids anymore anyways.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
reptileguy2727 said:
it is more for the reason of disease (not that larger turtles arent just as capable of carrying salmonella) not to prevent kids form buying them. most places wont sell to kids anymore anyways.
That is what I was gettin at. Preventing young kids from having pet turtles was a priority. Most people who get salmonella are kids, and they get it by not washing their hands or for other reasons. But you are right, adult turtles carry salmonella just as much as baby turtles.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
i dont think it was as much to do with kids getting them. parents could get them for their kids, and there could have been other things done to prevent kids from getting them. whatever it was i think it ended up being good for the people and the turtles.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
nope, not at all. i live in louisiana and we see them ALL the time. they're in pretty much any body of water around.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
danepatrick, what are you replying to?

AYard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia
We had a pair of Red Ears, we got ours from FL, they also grow really fast. We had to put them into a pond.

Roy L.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
Norway, Scandinavia
As some of you have noticed I live in Norway at latitude 60 degrees north,
Thats about the same latitude where Alaska begins for you...
So it's no way they can survive here, but they still are not allowed here :screwy:

Today I got for free a red ear from a imigrant from Chechia,
that he had caught in the wild there...
It's not native there ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store