red eyed angels

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
ok i have 6 angels in a 55, tempis 78-80, and the ph is 6.8. today all of my angels have red rings around the outside edges of their eyeballs :eek: , they werent like that yesterday, and you can even see the difference in the albino whose eyes are always red. does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? it looks just like a blood blister in a human eye when it's been punched :screwy:

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Odds are very good it is a gram-negative bacterial infection, I have only read about this and heard about it from a friend who also had it happen in a tank full of angels. The recommended treatment is to treat the entire tank with a broad spectrum sulfa based antibiotic like gentamycin sulfate (warning, the stuff is not cheap), this is very hard on your biological filter so it would be best to replace that with a cheap couple of sponge filters during treatment, just put your regular filter on a tub of dechlored water to keep the culture alive, ther will be some loss from lack of waste but not that much.
Make sure you follow the package instructions carefully as ODs are lethal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store