Red gars, did they keep their colour?

Datten

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2021
Sweden
A question to you that kept Red gars for a longer time. Did they Loose their red colour totally or did they stay a bit red?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What's a red gar? I've seen them for sale e.g. on Exotic Fish Shop but never knew what that was...

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg had red gars and stayed red for him.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
What's a red gar? I've seen them for sale e.g. on Exotic Fish Shop but never knew what that was...
The mutation is erythrism… predominantly red pigment coming through. Its a “viable” natural mutation found in many animals ??. In the hobby it was seen alot in the florida gar species… not sure how they faired tho for keeping pigment or subject to change randomly like the similar mutation xanthism…

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
A question to you that kept Red gars for a longer time. Did they Loose their red colour totally or did they stay a bit red?
Yes most eventually lose their red colour or only have a small tint of red to them. Only some stay red but it’s rare. It costs like 10x more compared to a normal Florida gar so I don’t think it’s worth it

Datten

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2021
Sweden
The mutation is erythrism… predominantly red pigment coming through. Its a “viable” natural mutation found in many animals ??. In the hobby it was seen alot in the florida gar species… not sure how they faired tho for keeping pigment or subject to change randomly like the similar mutation xanthism…
But erythrism is someting else? According to glaser red gar could be a breeding form or a cross.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Datten

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2021
Sweden
Yes most eventually lose their red colour or only have a small tint of red to them. Only some stay red but it’s rare. It costs like 10x more compared to a normal Florida gar so I don’t think it’s worth it
I read that the red colour stays longer depening on the food given

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
But erythrism is someting else? According to glaser red gar could be a breeding form or a cross.
erythrism is a genetic mutation that affects pigment in animals… has nothing to do with these fish in particular being a hybrid as ur link states or any 1 species of animal. Its found in reptiles, mammals, birds, inscects, fish, etc… This probably started with 1 erythristic gar that was bred with a normal gar, and in this case 2 different gar species may have been used. Same way albino, platinum, xanthic mutations are sought after and line bred in the hobby. The gar are not red because they possibly may be a hybrid, they are red because there carrying the gene for erythrism…

Datten

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2021
Sweden
erythrism is a genetic mutation that affects pigment in animals… has nothing to do with these fish in particular being a hybrid as ur link states or any 1 species of animal. Its found in reptiles, mammals, birds, inscects, fish, etc… This probably started with 1 erythristic gar that was bred with a normal gar, and in this case 2 different gar species may have been used. Same way albino, platinum, xanthic mutations are sought after and line bred in the hobby. The gar are not red because they possibly may be a hybrid, they are red because there carrying the gene for erythrism…
Thank you for answer, thats interesting?

Reactions: wednesday13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store