Red Head Tapajos Breeding Journal and Questions

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
good luck i got 10 surinamensis in a 220 4 about 5-6 inchs the rest slightly smaller waiting for a pair or 2 out of them

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Sounds like yours should spawn soon but might not hurt to remove pleco and the other 3. Ours just spawned 2 weeks ago and they were alone at the time. They also seem to like lots of sand also check maybe yourrs are holding already.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Sounds like yours should spawn soon but might not hurt to remove pleco and the other 3. Ours just spawned 2 weeks ago and they were alone at the time. They also seem to like lots of sand also check maybe yourrs are holding already.
How do I know if they're holding? Somewhere in another thread someone mentioned that they may be eating the eggs.

It's definitely a pair as two hang together all the time.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
If they are holding you should be able to see a swelling in their throat. This maay be visible I am not sure as my wife noticed ours holding.but ours ever held the eggs only the fry.
I read though that they will hold the eggs as well which would look like they were eating them. Have you ever seen peacocks holding their eggs your Geo's should look similar. Both parents will hold so don't worry.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
If they are holding you should be able to see a swelling in their throat. This maay be visible I am not sure as my wife noticed ours holding.but ours ever held the eggs only the fry.
I read though that they will hold the eggs as well which would look like they were eating them. Have you ever seen peacocks holding their eggs your Geo's should look similar. Both parents will hold so don't worry.
Thanks for the input. I'm just hanging in there and waiting. Keeping up with the water changes and the mysis shrimp feeds. Figure it's got to happen at some point.

EDIT: I also assume if they're holding they wouldn't feed as much, right?

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I think that is right don't want to eat their fry. Do you have some sand on the bottom as I think they like it Ours were about 3 yrs old when they spawned and we are not really sure what triggered it. Kinda think it was when I warmed the tank up as it had been quite cool. As for food we were feeding North Fin pellets Cichlid formula and 4mm large fish.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I think that is right don't want to eat their fry. Do you have some sand on the bottom as I think they like it Ours were about 3 yrs old when they spawned and we are not really sure what triggered it. Kinda think it was when I warmed the tank up as it had been quite cool. As for food we were feeding North Fin pellets Cichlid formula and 4mm large fish.
I have the bottom covered with pool filter sand. They pretty much just sift through it all day like your typical Geo. I think it's going to boil down to just being a waiting game for me.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
And we have (had lol) eggs! Came home from the gym last night to the pair guarding some eggs laid on a flat piece of shale. Unfortunately, they don't seem too viable and I think the parents accidentally ate them. Shortly after lights out they scooped them up. Not to be seen this morning. It's a start though!

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I have read that they will hold the eggs not just the fry so be careful. Our male got rough with the female and we separated them. Then my wife pulled the fry as soon as they were free swimming. Glad to hear your luck is changing.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I have read that they will hold the eggs not just the fry so be careful. Our male got rough with the female and we separated them. Then my wife pulled the fry as soon as they were free swimming. Glad to hear your luck is changing.
Thanks for the heads up. I think they ate the eggs though. They're feeding way too voraciously to be holding eggs in there. Last night they gobbled up mysis shrimp and this morning pellets.

Now I have to go about the process of setting up a fry tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store