Red Mangroves for the Win!

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Wait a minute, what happened? Is that cat damage or something? - N
Yeeeessss .... I'm so stupid!!! They don't go after every plant, only some, so I watched them and they were fine until my mom got home and I took my eyes off them for not more than 5 minutes and THAT's what happened!! ...MFK possesses neither the emoticons nor the patience to express how I feel!! The cat in the window in the first photo is the culprit... *squints* I know it was her...

:irked: :cry: :swear: :mad: :angryfire :wall: :nutkick: :duh:

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
beat it...rub its nose in it then woop its ass....then it will never mess with them again.

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
The mangroves are getting limp. I think they're dying on me!! What do I do? The planters haven't arrived yet so I was gonna go to Walmart and get some temporary ones to keep the roots in the gravel.

Any suggestions on what to do for them? They arrived so healthy!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
After a quick web search, I hit them with trace and am hoping that will help. I don't know if they sucked all the nutrients out of the water already... It's fresh salt... But the web said they need lots of magnesium so I'm gonna keep an eye on how often they need to be dosed. I'm hoping that was the problem and I fixed it with the trace. I also got the bubbler hooked up so the bucket's aerated now. Don't know if that made a difference either... A couple hours after this, they seemed like they were perkin back up. Here's hoping... Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
What kind of salt do those take and what kind of ratio? A friend of mine got some of those for his salt water tank. He said they work for fresh water but everything Ive read on red mangroves is that they live in estuaries. Dont feel like killing them in my tank (which is fresh water), if i wanted to throw money away to kill plants I could find faster ways than that.

MaddMaxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2009
Abu Dhabi/NJ
What kind of salt do those take and what kind of ratio? A friend of mine got some of those for his salt water tank. He said they work for fresh water but everything Ive read on red mangroves is that they live in estuaries. Dont feel like killing them in my tank (which is fresh water), if i wanted to throw money away to kill plants I could find faster ways than that.
Tomo, From what I understand, Red Mangroves are brackish to full-blown salt plants. If you're interested in some truly freshwater Mangroves, Black Mangroves are the way to go. I've successfully (so far) raised Black Mangroves, from seedlings to saplings, in my freshwater tank for almost 1.5 years now.

Kel, Light and Ferts! I use API root tabs in my planters, I'm not sure they're effectiveness in salt so ask around, but I can't imagine them being a problem.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Thanks! Ill check out black mangroves then. Good luck with your grazing cat

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store