Red Slime Algae (cyanobacteria)

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
Hey guys, i have what i believe to be red slime algae, it started out in my refugium and now its working its way into the tank and i was wondering how to get rid of it.

The only thing i've read so far has been a "3 day blackout" but i dont want my chaeto or corals to die so any other suggestions? i've been sucking visually everything out with a turkey baster but it just keeps comming back.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I would say you have a phosphate problem as Cyano growth booms with lots of phosphates.

Is your fuge new? If it is then its possible your cheato isnt clearing out neutrients fast enough.

What are your parameters?

For a short term solution you could use a phosphate absorbing substance such as GFO, but long term your fuge mite cover it, if not you mite want to consider a algea scrubber (which I recomend to everyone haha).

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
I've looked at the algae scrubbers and have been thinking about doing one and as far as a GFO reactor goes its only a 10g so I don't want to get too mechanical with it.

I've had the fuge as long as I've had the tank, 4 months now its never been a problem until about 2-3 weeks ago but all i did was add another small fish my cheato bunch is fairly large and should be more then enough to remove the phosphates and nitrates

Reefbuff01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Miami, FL
I had that same problem with a large reef system a few months ago. My issue was definitely phosphate. I first used bagged-up phosphate sponge in the sump (Kent Marine) for a couple of days, then switched to a phosphate removing filter pad after removing the phos sponge. It worked well. I suggest either or both of these on any size tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store