Red slime algae help

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
If it's a new tank, then its normal and will go away, but if it really is red slime, it looks really thick, is a dark red almost maroon color, and you can peel it like carpet, then you need to get rid of it. It's not actually an algae but Cyanobacteria. It shows up from excess nutrients from overfeeding and the best way to get rid of it is to siphon ALL of it out. Just turning off the lights won't due cuz it can live a long time without light and just the ambient light from the room is enough to keep it alive. Putting more flow was mentioned but that works best for prevention, not when you already have it. You can also use chemiclean which you can find from your lfs. You just have to turn off the skimmer and remove any carbon. It works extremely well but you have to make sure you use the exact amount for the amount of water in your tank. A 55g doesn't hold 55g of water when its filled with rock and sand. If you put too much in, it will poison your tank and kill everything in it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
If you wanted to cut out the light, he's right...the ambient light would still let it live...what worked for me before....is feed the fish. and when you turn the lights off at night, cover your tank with a towel and leave the lights off for 3 days or so...

allenjj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Albany, NY
I agree with those that posted eliminate your light, however you should also reduce your feeding and only feed fish what they can consume spot feeding other creatures limited amounts. Excess nutrients dont help.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
red slime really comes from water chemistry sometimes the most pristine setups get it but as you work with your tank and can eliminate dead zones with no flow or areas where left food my seattle red slime should be gone. My thoughts are what is your feeding routine? What do you feed and how much?

mr. reef24

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
I had issues with it for a while. I tried slime remover and it worked for a few days but came back. I didn't have enough flow. I just had a mp10 and the returns so I added a maxspect gyre 250 now its clear. Everything was covered before it was awful. I hope you get it figured out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store