Red tail brycon with a Florida gar?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I bought a 6" red tail brycon(aka barracuda?) And just picked up a 11" Florida gar. Can they coexist?

I saw a slash mark on the red tail brycon and I think it's the gar.

1000029935.jpg

1000029934.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Likely not. Would separate the two for sure.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's a bummer. What about a 7" vampire Tetra with the gar?
Think you’ll see a similar result. Maybe a large similar sized armatus could do it.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Where did you get the brycon??? I’ve been looking for some for awhile

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
Dang, I’m located in Arkansas so I’ve been looking at online stores. I would take yours if your willing to ship

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I'm sorry but I wouldn't suggest anything Hydrocynus, Brycon or Hydrolycus for cohabitation with a Gar. All of them generally prefer faster flowing waters than Gars and all of them are fairly darty swimmers and aggressive feeders. Being fast moving fish they can potentially spook the Gar as they grow larger causing the Gar to jump or faceplant into a tank wall. At smaller sizes that very same movement will attract the Gar as potential prey.

That's just my opinion but it comes from personal experience with several different individuals of each of the species at various sizes. Even now I'm having an issue making sure my Panda/Pied Florida gets enough food in his current cohab. I have to hand or tong feed him as otherwise he gets outcompeted and does get spooked at feeding time because his tankmates are around his length but much girthier and much more aggressive feeders.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I'm sorry but I wouldn't suggest anything Hydrocynus, Brycon or Hydrolycus for cohabitation with a Gar. All of them generally prefer faster flowing waters than Gars and all of them are fairly darty swimmers and aggressive feeders. Being fast moving fish they can potentially spook the Gar as they grow larger causing the Gar to jump or faceplant into a tank wall. At smaller sizes that very same movement will attract the Gar as potential prey.

That's just my opinion but it comes from personal experience with several different individuals of each of the species at various sizes. Even now I'm having an issue making sure my Panda/Pied Florida gets enough food in his current cohab. I have to hand or tong feed him as otherwise he gets outcompeted and does get spooked at feeding time because his tankmates are around his length but much girthier and much more aggressive feeders.
Got it I'll look into rehoming. What about a silver arowana with the fast moving fish you mentioned?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store