Red Tail catfish diet

Wesley M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
St. George, Utah USA
What is a good healthy diet for an rtc? I have been giving it frozen brine shrimp that it just digs out of the gravel when settles, and I have been giving it live feeders (not goldfish) I will be getting hikari massivore pellets. Are goldfish really that bad for feeding the rtc? I also gave it raw chicken breast with the fat all cut off the other night and he loved it. Is chicken okay?

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lonzoencho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I would try tilapia or smelt and I would try any thing but piscine meat as even though you cut the fat of it still has unhealthy lipid that can cause problems down the road. Also if feeders are quarantined previously there is no problem but a week is a minimum

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

juzbmez

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Where Lightening Strikes
As far as feeder goldfish goes. I've never had a problem mine are all healthy feeders though. But I don't feed feeder goldies on a regular only as a treat. I usually feed tilapia, market shrimp, and other fish meat usually. I tried saltwater catches like surf perch they seem to be a favorite for all my fishes. For some reason they love surf perch. But that's only during summer months.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What is a good healthy diet for an rtc? I have been giving it frozen brine shrimp that it just digs out of the gravel when settles, and I have been giving it live feeders (not goldfish) I will be getting hikari massivore pellets. Are goldfish really that bad for feeding the rtc? I also gave it raw chicken breast with the fat all cut off the other night and he loved it. Is chicken okay?
Feeding live fish always carries a certain risk with it. Some do it successfully but many end up with infections and parasites being transferred to their fish. Goldfish (which you do not use, which is good) is not a good staple diet because of the fattiness and thiaminase.

Live earthworms, insects, lizards, frogs are better but one needs to research too. Some frogs, for instance, have been reported to carry transferrable intestinal worms; hence better be frozen before fed to pet fishes.

I am a proponent of feeding non-live foods of aquatic origin. RTCs do not need live at all. Mine eat all manner of pellets and sea/aquatic foods - fish pieces, shrimp, mussel, crab, squid, etc.

Beef heart is often fed too by many because of how lean it is, I assume, but even then people try to cut off all fat that's visible. The leaner the non-aquatic fleshy food, the better but I believe it is much better to avoid non-aquatic foods as a staple.

Some report good results with frozen/thawed pinkies too (baby mice and rats). Again, I believe them but personally would not do it as a staple.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
One of the few fish I had that would eat anything.... I mixed up massivore with smelt, and whatever the freshest cheapest fish was that week at the market. during the summer monthes I also like to freeze and feed native fish scraps to my fish and have been doing so for my gar for years now, and my bigger cats will get some this year as well. I like stuffing whole fish with a few pellets to try and keep a nice healthy diet, yet at the same time cost effective. and nightcrawlers where one of my RTC's favorites, and imo the best live food out there.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Meat of non-aquatic origin is not recommended for rtc or almost any fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store