Red-tail Catfish Lost Appetite

bigones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2010
Sarawak, Malaysia
mshill90;4566310; said:
Flashing, and itching is the same thing.

It could be a number of different things wrong.

Best thing would be to find a Koi hobbyist/Farm in the area, and see if someone can scrape and scope for you. That will weed out any parasites, and then you can take it from there.

But ultimately, we need to know more information.. what are your water parameters?

*** now that I look at the pictures of them close up, I did notice that your koi is exhibiting signs of bloat- which is when their scales pop looking like a pinecone.- Bloat is due to 2 things, extreme cold water while being fed, which leads to them not being able to digest food, but the #1 reason is bacterial infection. It will kill your fish. And their is no treatment for it. The only thing you could do is salt to .3% (1 cup solar saly per 100 gallons) and hope for the best.***
Will water temperature be the factor for the lose in eating for most cases...? As for bacterial infection, that is why i had the UV sterilizer installed on the 1st place as to cool down my worries...

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
bigones;4566529; said:
My RTC eats pellets together with the koi... And eats a lot during those good feeding days as to now totally different... I do feed it with fresh meat like Mackerel fish meat which is slice in small portion... But, as to now he totally ignore it... The koi has also loses it's interest in the pellets given. It might be from a different supplier.. But i have 2 more smaller koi and they feed just fine...

The koi and catfish need 2 completely different types of food. Koi need wheat germ/carb based food.

Catfish need meat. The best thing you could try with the catfish would be market shrimp because it has such a strong smell, or maybe massivore pellets.

What is the water temp?

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
bigones;4566537; said:
Will water temperature be the factor for the lose in eating for most cases...? As for bacterial infection, that is why i had the UV sterilizer installed on the 1st place as to cool down my worries...

Water temp can be a big factor in this. SA cats are tropical fish, Koi are not. They both need to live in different water temps.

I would re install the UV to be honest with you. You will get a lot of aeromonas bacteria with the catfish.. Catfish and koi are both extremely messy.

bigones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2010
Sarawak, Malaysia
Shrimp..? We tried that last time and it seems to prefer fish meat... The shrimp is being totally ignore of which we have to remove it after a few hours to avoid contamination in the water which i cared alot and make sure the water alway clean. 40% water change once a week. But, if i see the water is more dirty than usual, i will have it chance 30% just to be sure... Well, i dont have a thermometer with me so, water temperature will have to wait... But, what will be the ideal temperature...? I'm from Malaysia...

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
bigones;4566559; said:
Shrimp..? We tried that last time and it seems to prefer fish meat... The shrimp is being totally ignore of which we have to remove it after a few hours to avoid contamination in the water which i cared alot and make sure the water alway clean. 40% water change once a week. But, if i see the water is more dirty than usual, i will have it chance 30% just to be sure... Well, i dont have a thermometer with me so, water temperature will have to wait... But, what will be the ideal temperature...? I'm from Malaysia...
Ideal for a SA cat would be 76F- which would be perfect for both.

If shrimp doesn't work, I would see if you can get massivore pellets.

I have a red tail shovelnose hybrid that wouldn't eat for a while, and he loves massivore.

bigones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2010
Sarawak, Malaysia
Massivors..? I'll see if i can get it locally here... Well, lots of difference foods might be available in our area... Having kept red-tail is not so popular amongst aquarist here as they will grow big.. I am planning to have Arapaima too but, the cost of having one wound be $$$$$$$ as they grow much faster than red-tail... Well, getting back to the issue that i am having... I just got my UV Sterilizer glue with Silicone on its cable where is enters the glass tube, just incase to avoid further outbreak of this Stray Voltage. I am going to place it "Inside" of my filter box this time... New does not mean this will not be happening again...

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
bigones;4566669; said:
Massivors..? I'll see if i can get it locally here... Well, lots of difference foods might be available in our area... Having kept red-tail is not so popular amongst aquarist here as they will grow big.. I am planning to have Arapaima too but, the cost of having one wound be $$$$$$$ as they grow much faster than red-tail... Well, getting back to the issue that i am having... I just got my UV Sterilizer glue with Silicone on its cable where is enters the glass tube, just incase to avoid further outbreak of this Stray Voltage. I am going to place it "Inside" of my filter box this time... New does not mean this will not be happening again...

Arapaima's get huge. I don't recommend getting one. They are a highly regarded species in Japan, and they actually have sanctuaries for them and Redtails.

Massivore... I'll direct you to a link... This is what it is... http://www.google.com/products/cata...KSJo7iygWb_bnRCw&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

As far as the UV... Just get a new one. yes, they are expensive, but in the end it will be worth it. No dead fish.

bigones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2010
Sarawak, Malaysia
I got the UV new as i had already replace it. But, to be on the safe side, i will have silicone sealed to make sure this will not happen again.. I cant risk it... About the arapaimas, i love the red scales... As for my Redtail, i will have a close eye on it.. I have to get his start eating soonest possible... Would be something hard to do... Water is clean, water temperature is still unclear as the weather here is hot... I have to get the UV into the filter box ASAP so to start killing all those parasites if it there...

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
bigones;4566778; said:
I got the UV new as i had already replace it. But, to be on the safe side, i will have silicone sealed to make sure this will not happen again.. I cant risk it... About the arapaimas, i love the red scales... As for my Redtail, i will have a close eye on it.. I have to get his start eating soonest possible... Would be something hard to do... Water is clean, water temperature is still unclear as the weather here is hot... I have to get the UV into the filter box ASAP so to start killing all those parasites if it there...

If the temp there is hot, then it shouldn't be too low of a temp for them.

I would add some salt to the tank because a UV will not kill everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store