Red tail, two sovelnoses, and a Asian redtail

Catfish kidd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2015
Michigan
He knows about the upgrades. It's been said, oh, only 20 times already in this thread to the point that it made me, an unrelated person, feel uncomfortable :) We shouldn't ostracize and annoy each other but support and build up. :) These are my $0.02 however. Feel free to shrug it off.

Anyhow, welcome back, Danny! Good job. Looks like your fish have grown well. The tank looks adequate too at the moment. Is this your 100 gal that had a gar? If so, where is the gar now?

Tell us about their growth and whatever else interesting you have noted or learned, if you will.

Am I missing the ARTC?
The artc is hiding in his pirate ship or the volcano he's hard to get pics of but he's about the size of the shovelnoses. And the tank is a 300 gallon. My other tanks aren't set up right now. I gave the gar away decided to stick with my catfish.the redbelly piranhas I gave away too.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
300 gal sounds pretty good.

Good job keeping your focus and restrain too.

What kind of interaction, if any, do you observe between your ARTC and its tank mates?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
The artc is hiding in his pirate ship or the volcano he's hard to get pics of but he's about the size of the shovelnoses. And the tank is a 300 gallon. My other tanks aren't set up right now. I gave the gar away decided to stick with my catfish.the redbelly piranhas I gave away too.
I'll give you credit, you are unlike 90% of the keepers who never upgrade even once for these giants. I still hope you have a pond ready though haha.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Through the years I am becoming more and more convinced that the RTC's in our trade are culls from the farming industry or some such sub-optimal fish. Off the top of my head, the cases of people raising them to
4' is one (TLkm?)
3.5' are less than 5
3' - around a dozen
all the rest either never reach 3' or perish.

A 1000 gal tank may be borderline ok for a 3-footer. IMHO.

Catfish kidd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2015
Michigan
I know I'm currently trying to get my hands on a 1500 gallon tank I'm negotiating. And next summer I'm making a concrete tile pool for them.they aren't just fish they are my loved pets.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Do you have any problems feeding the ARTC? What does it take?

I've been having problems feeding mine 15"-er for over half a year now. It's been alone in a 240 gal and barely feeds. Very much afraid of me too.

slayer5590

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Ft Worth Texas
Hey Viktor, I have one that's 16"-17" that eats massivore, algae wafers and whatever pellets the other fish are getting. I have never seen it eat any of the frozen stuff they get and I never saw it eat anything for a long time. I would guess mine is small for it's age of almost 3 yrs but as you've seen they can be unwilling to feed at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting.

headbanger_jib headbanger_jib says his ARTC was inhaling any and all foods from the 1.5 inch size. He grew it to 32".

I got mine from R rmkblades who raised it to 14" and says never had any problem with feeding.

So I remain at a loss. A 3-year ARTC I'd expect to be 2'-3'. Thus, so far yours and mine are consistent. And Jib's and mine in his prior life with Rouben (rmkblades) are consistent.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
He just didn't eat food, he kinda ate many of his pond mates too.
I grew mine from 1.5"
At that size it was earthworms and small fish, for main diet.
Eventually shifted it to dry shrimp, when it was almost 4"+ and from there it was a dustbin.

Moved him to the pond, when it was 10" or 12", I have pics but can't be sure about the size.

In the pond, it grew super fast. It used to come to the surface to pick floating Pellets. Although always under the shadow of the gator gar.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store