Red Terror Tank Mates?

Davey_8313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
With Wife & Kids in Stafford
My male dovii is about 8-9" now and the female is 5". They're all about .5'' bigger than it says now, they're growing quick. I'm not really worried until they get about 4-5" b/c I've only got a 150g....

sick_lid

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2008
Austin, TX
Joshooo;3334719; said:
I thought going tank mates in first would be the best way to help the survive?
Should i go all at once as Juvies?

And is there an easy way to sex them as juvies?
If you go that way, you have the chance of the existing fish defending the territories they have already made. Growing a community up as juvies has always been the best way to go for me, and adding other tankmates in the future is always hit or miss..

For the most part, juvies look pretty similar.

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Davey_8318, I'll be getting them as Juvies but i'm planning ahead for increases in aggression and territory requirements.

Peanut_Power, Will these marking be evident when they are only and inch or two long? I was thinking about having a texas cichlid and a flowerhorn or two? maybe even some convicts for fry food haha

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Davey_8313;3334744; said:
My male dovii is about 8-9" now and the female is 5". They're all about .5'' bigger than it says now, they're growing quick. I'm not really worried until they get about 4-5" b/c I've only got a 150g....
So not worried about increased aggression? Just a stocking problem? I quite like Dovii so that could be an option for tank mates :)

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
sick_lid;3334748; said:
If you go that way, you have the chance of the existing fish defending the territories they have already made. Growing a community up as juvies has always been the best way to go for me, and adding other tankmates in the future is always hit or miss..

For the most part, juvies look pretty similar.

A Juvie Community it is :) ill have to keep the RT's in another tank until a pair is formed and then ill just take all the fish out and introduce them together and rearrange the decor.. would that work?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
No, they won't be definite at such a small size. Normally not until they are three to four inches till you can start to make guestimations of their genders without venting. Mine is almost 5" and I'm still having a hard time deciding if its male or female. LoL

Go with the texas cichlids if possible. They are great fish. Actually any fish from the Herichthys genus would be great candidates. :)

A Juvie Community it is :) ill have to keep the RT's in another tank until a pair is formed and then ill just take all the fish out and introduce them together and rearrange the decor.. would that work?
Why stress them out? Just put them all in the 350gal together and let them pair up in there. Then just remove the ones you don't want any more. Moving established pairs has potential of breakin the pair bond, which isn't such a good thing.

Joshooo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Peanut_Power;3334798; said:
Why stress them out? Just put them all in the 350gal together and let them pair up in there. Then just remove the ones you don't want any more. Moving established pairs has potential of breakin the pair bond, which isn't such a good thing.
So how many would you recommend? No problems of territorial disputes?

Davey_8313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
With Wife & Kids in Stafford
I had more fish than I have now in my 150. I got em all between 1-2". You should be able to have quite a few in there. I had a pair two pairs of cons in my tank, but my wife made me take them out b/c they had babies, lol. Just make sure to have some hiding spots for the fish....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store