Red Texas Cichlid questions...

Ginkgoleaf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
So I recently bought a juvenile Red Texas and he isn't eating in front of me, and I can't tell if he is eating at all. Is there a way that i can make sure he eats? Also, I have seen him go at my other fish in the tank on his second day, so that brings me to my second and final question. Is he capable of possibly taking eyes? I like my catfish with both of their eyes.
Thanks in advance for the help,
14997376324391762526301.jpg
Ginkgoleaf

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
It's possible that he could bite their eyes out I guess, though I wouldn't be specifically concerned about that. If he seems interested in attacking the catfish, I'd be worried about him generally harassing them to death. The fish looks to me like he is around 7" or so (hard to tell from front view), that is a pretty big cichlid to share a 40 gallon. Plus, hybrid cichlids are notoriously aggressive (red texas is a hybrid, like a flowerhorn). Might be a good idea to return him if you aren't ready to have a solo fish in your tank.

Ginkgoleaf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
It's possible that he could bite their eyes out I guess, though I wouldn't be specifically concerned about that. If he seems interested in attacking the catfish, I'd be worried about him generally harassing them to death. The fish looks to me like he is around 7" or so (hard to tell from front view), that is a pretty big cichlid to share a 40 gallon. Plus, hybrid cichlids are notoriously aggressive (red texas is a hybrid, like a flowerhorn). Might be a good idea to return him if you aren't ready to have a solo fish in your tank.
Thanks for all of the advice, he will be getting a larger tank soon (when I can afford it) and a larger filter this week. He hasn't gone after the other tank mates since the second day. He still hasn't obviously eaten in front of me, though food has gone away, is there a way to get him more comfortable in the tank or with me to get him to eat?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well from the one picture it looks like the tank is kind of bare, more decoration can help him feel comfortable. Cichlids also like gravel to dig in, though I wouldn't recommend adding it right away because putting it in with him in the tank will probably be stressful. Other than that I would just move slowly when you walk by the tank, spend some time sitting still in front of it so that he gets used to you. Also, garlic is a good appetite stimulant. Crush up a little fresh garlic and put it in the tank 10 minutes before trying to feed him.
Also- is the tank fully cycled? If not, the cycle is very stressful for fish to live through.

Ginkgoleaf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2017
Yes, the tank has been running fully for about 4 months, I made it barebottom when I took it down because the rocks where old and all different colors. I'll be getting rocks for him too. He seems to be getting more used to me as time passes, I just haven't had a fish that didn't eat the next day after purchasing it so I was concerned. Thanks for all the help.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I moved my Polleni into a tank with essentially no decorations whatsoever and he was a completely different fish. He was miserable and sometimes wouldn't eat and was afraid of me. I've had him for 1.5 years. I scraped the tank and he's back to his normal self

IMG_4280.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store