Red Tiger Motaguense - Sex me so I can get a mate!

Cichlidholic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Before I get a potential mate for my RTM, I would like to verify the sex of this fish. You guys have previously sexed her as female but her pattern seems to be changing. I just want to confirm her sex before I get her a boyfriend...would hate to get her a boyfriend and end up with a male vs. male battle royale with 2 damaged fish.

Thanks!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It's a female, nice looking too.

fishluvr12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
TN
This one is a little tougher to sex than some but I'm thinking female also.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
^I know what you mean, but there's no male male around for her to get dressed up for, so she's a little he/she looking at the moment.

Cichlidholic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Thanks guys, I think she's pretty.

Anyone else have a guess? I think she also looks female, but the spots on the underside are throwing me off...plus this fish also has a bad temper..so I'm thinking male...I'm so confused.

Aren't males also supposed to turn brownish?

saltydog_1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
st louis
looks female to me

Cichlidholic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Morning folks,

I picked up a male that was indeed more brown than red and put it in the same tank as this alleged female - albeit separated. Female colors seem a bit more blotchy so I'm hoping our assumption of gender is correct.

If I can keep them from killing each other, I hope to get a bonded pair (hopefully w/fry).

Anyone have any suggestions on how long I need to keep them separated? I was thinking of:

1) Giving them a couple of days, then remove divider - see aggression level
2) If aggression is too high, separate for a few more days and goto 1)

Thanks again and I'll post pics if/when I get a pair.

djb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2009
boston
i just threw mine in with other littler fish so the male wouldnt beat on her they ended up pairing up an i had to get rid of all the other fish even the plecos good luck post a picture of the male

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store