Reducing aggression between convicts?

rabid_bp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2022
So I have had a single female convict for about 3 years now and she has always been the only fish in the tank. I recently set up a 125 gallon for a Red Devil, and decided that I would get a male convict for my female so that I could have a decent supply of feeder convicts. I added the male to the tank with my female (29 gallons) and at first the female was slightly aggressive to the male, but within hours the male was chasing her every time I looked at the tank. I checked again today and it's the same thing. The female is stuck hiding under the filter outtake. Since it has only been a day I am planning to give it more time. Will the aggression die down from the new male soon, or will it not? I was assuming that the fish would be eager to breed but this is clearly not the case. Do i just give it more time?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I have had a single female convict for about 3 years now and she has always been the only fish in the tank. I recently set up a 125 gallon for a Red Devil, and decided that I would get a male convict for my female so that I could have a decent supply of feeder convicts. I added the male to the tank with my female (29 gallons) and at first the female was slightly aggressive to the male, but within hours the male was chasing her every time I looked at the tank. I checked again today and it's the same thing. The female is stuck hiding under the filter outtake. Since it has only been a day I am planning to give it more time. Will the aggression die down from the new male soon, or will it not? I was assuming that the fish would be eager to breed but this is clearly not the case. Do i just give it more time?
I suggest adding another female so male won't just focus on the one.
I started with 3 and 2 paired off about 1 week after. I had to remove the one because it was getting beat bad. The aquarium was a 29 gallon.

rabid_bp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2022
I suggest adding another female so male won't just focus on the one.
I started with 3 and 2 paired off about 1 week after. I had to remove the one because it was getting beat bad. The aquarium was a 29 gallon.
This sounds like a good idea. The only drawback is that if the male pairs off with the new female I would have to remove my older female and I don't really have a tank for her. I don't really want to get rid of her either because she was my first fish. Do you think dithers such as tiger barbs or black skirt tetras could work?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The problem with trying to keep 2 females or another male is the aquarium size. Even after spawning my male almost killed the female. I placed the male in a 180gal and another male harassed it for awhile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store