Reef tank help!

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Theres a ton to learn about "how to" coral reefing. So much so it can't be answered in one posting or even a hundred. A whole lotta Research with understanding is gonna be required. Best way to start out is with 70lbs of cured LR + 70lbs sterile aragonite sand.Do not use TAPWATER, do not use Salt mixes designed for reefs until you actually have one - Reef crystals with no corals leads to higher unused element levels that will need to be corrected. Your Salt mix will govern your PH - no worries there. The type of lighting you choose will govern what you can grow - a basic scale of watts per gal. helps get you started - Softies 2-4 , LPS 3- 6, SPS 7+. The better the quality of lighting you buy can lower those quidelines. A protien skimmer will help greaterly to remove unwanted solids and add dissolved oxygen. Current is also a concern that corals need - softies can be like 10X your water movement vs total number of tank volume ( 10gal = 100 gph), lps alil more like 15x, SPS up to 20x. SPS needs higher water movement inorder to shed it's mucus membrane and stop unwanted bacteria's or flora from growing on it thus choking it out. The current should be horizontal to the lighting 2 or 4 powerheads on opposite sides of the tank is better than one large one. Corals generally grow upward not sideways so placement should always be horizontal to the surface just like the movement.

I'm not a fan of HOB's or Cannisters for reefing - niether are really designed for the horizontal nature of SW reefs.

doveandgrenade

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2012
Canada
Theres a ton to learn about "how to" coral reefing. So much so it can't be answered in one posting or even a hundred. A whole lotta Research with understanding is gonna be required. Best way to start out is with 70lbs of cured LR + 70lbs sterile aragonite sand.Do not use TAPWATER, do not use Salt mixes designed for reefs until you actually have one - Reef crystals with no corals leads to higher unused element levels that will need to be corrected. Your Salt mix will govern your PH - no worries there. The type of lighting you choose will govern what you can grow - a basic scale of watts per gal. helps get you started - Softies 2-4 , LPS 3- 6, SPS 7+. The better the quality of lighting you buy can lower those quidelines. A protien skimmer will help greaterly to remove unwanted solids and add dissolved oxygen. Current is also a concern that corals need - softies can be like 10X your water movement vs total number of tank volume ( 10gal = 100 gph), lps alil more like 15x, SPS up to 20x. SPS needs higher water movement inorder to shed it's mucus membrane and stop unwanted bacteria's or flora from growing on it thus choking it out. The current should be horizontal to the lighting 2 or 4 powerheads on opposite sides of the tank is better than one large one. Corals generally grow upward not sideways so placement should always be horizontal to the surface just like the movement.

I'm not a fan of HOB's or Cannisters for reefing - niether are really designed for the horizontal nature of SW reefs.
Thanks for all the info. I was gonna go out in a few to get a bucket of reef crystals (also on sale for $20 off plus additional 15%) but I'll hold off then if it's a waste. Should I just use the regular instant ocean instead and add reef crystal later on when it's running or would regular instant ocean be fine all around?

I'll look into hob overflows and a sump since my tank isn't drilled.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store